Being held hostage at reciever, 4 days now.

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by stuckey, Feb 8, 2024.

1. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Just take the trailer after all the load belongs to you until some one signs for it. Danged if I'd let them hold my equipment hostage.Seems like stealing to me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Key words....24-48 hours.

flood and cuzzin it Thank this.
  4. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I know this doesn't help the OP, but maybe he could feel a tad better knowing he's not the only one. I will call out a specific company on this.

The old trucking company I used to run was a major hauler for Nissan, to the Nissan plant in Canton, MS. One of our biggest customers. But as time went on, we noticed they would hold onto our trailers for longer and longer, using them as free storage. One day the owner of the company had enough and told us to go pull all trailers out of there, we were done with them. They wouldn't release our trailers and so we got rid of them as a customer. Never went back.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Going forward

Make sure it’s live unload and never drop a trailer, now you are at the mercy of the receiver and their rent a cops

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    i'd love an update on this one but OP hasn't been here since the day he first posted this.

7. TruckDriver87

TruckDriver87 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2023
    I heard a theory about warehouses holding trailers hostage: The warehouse books loads knowing they can’t take the product on the drop appointment. They book the load anyways with the intention of using an O/O’s trailer as low cost storage for a couple of days until room is created and they can receive the product.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Makes sense.

9. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Weatherford TRS we would rather you waiting on us than us waiting on you.
    2 hours free on both ends then $60 an hour.
    I know of a few who ran out of hours to make the delivery before they even got loaded.
    Loaded to the max and then some.
    Their equipment frames have points that go thru your floor if you don't put boards down.

10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    ZF corp. transmission plant in SC.

has drivers sitting and waiting days, until they need your load.

happened to me. boss dude pulled me out after 9hrs waiting WITH an Appointment.

went back down, after going home, and sat all day again, boss dude bring it back and we'll start charging storage.

dropped it in yard and got a load to Minn.

they tried to deliver 2 more times when they called for it.

finally unloaded the crap in the warehouse and refused to deliver ourselves. they had to book another company. lol

there were drivers sitting at that place for days.

11. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Well, I was once ACTUALLY 'held hostage' at a receiver, although it was only for about 5 hours. I was delivering to Raytheon in MA (do a little Google search, and you'll understand just WHAT they make there....), and was actually locked inside a 'holding pen' with wire-re-enforced glass by an armed guard while they unloaded my trailer and double-checked the contents. The only thing in there was 1 hard plastic chair, NOTHING else. No music, no reading material, no toilet, and an oppressively bright light overhead. The guard kept checking on me every 5 minutes through the window! god forbid if I was short anything; I half expected him to 'work me over' with a truncheon!

Numb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.