Best APU or idle w extra maintenance

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Dagwood007, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Dagwood007

Dagwood007 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Thanks. Besides factory warranty will also be purchasing extended as this is 1st year of GM/Ford 10 speed developed with Allison. Will closely review fine print as have been informed that extended idle time won't be an issue outside additional cost of maintenance as it will of course shorten intervals. Roughly 1hr idle approx 30 miles of operation. Thanks and regards.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hotshot Newbie

Hotshot Newbie Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Hey @Lite bug , was this your approach with the Air Conditioning?

Here is a YouTube video of SouthGeorgiaHotShot sort of showing what I am asking. If you pause at 36 seconds, you can see a pretty good shot of it

I've seen another person hook up the AC via some flexible 5" diameter flexible piping so to speak, to vent cool air into that same spot, the sliding glass window on the back of the cab.

Thanks

4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I had the one with the flexible pipe. The one hanging out of the back window will give you more room inside.

5. SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Last company job I had a brand new freight shaker's with electric AC. Four large batteries under the catwalk but would blow all night long. Seems they could design a smaller unit. Would easily put a couple batteries in the bed ( in battery box's) for summer AC.

6. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I was told electric APUs are nice till you need a 34 hour reset.
    Actually in the market now for a new APU for my truck and looking at Thermoking

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Quick question if anyone knows, can an APU run a 1500 watt appliance by itself without issue?
    What's the output of diesel APUs?

8. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    It depends on your alternator. 30amps will be around 350 watts. Its going to draw from the battery but you could easily run 1500w for several hours before you get low voltage alarms on your inverter. Doing this regularly will be bad for the batteries. Short periods like cooking food in a microwave isn't an issue.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    So an APU just charges the battery? Not like a generator that you get direct power from?

10. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    Correct. They have a belt driven alternator just like your truck. It also has a belt driven AC compressor and thats how you get AC.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Different APU designed differently.
    Thermoking is belt driven AC compressor and 12 volts alternator.
    Carrier is 6 kWt 120 volts generator and 12 volt alternator. AC in Carrier APU powered by 120 volts.

24kHotshot and tiddlytanker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.