Best strap/chain to get pulled out of the mud?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Tb0n3, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I was pulled fully loaded by a D8 through axle deep mud and gravel with a old 1/2” chain. I was hiding under the dash the whole time since I didn’t think there was any way that chain would handle it. Even though, I still prefer straps. You put a weight (such as a sand bag) over the middle of the strap, so if it breaks it’ll lay over itself rather than go through your window.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    These are extremely expensive but you can beat them... The links below are to two different types of lifting slings. The first is rated at 45 ton load end to end. The second is rated at 50 ton load end to end. If you really want to fork over the $$$ you can get these with ratings in the 100+ ton range.

Edit: and there are no metal parts to become shrapnel in the unlikely case that you do break one. And you can get different lenghts.

Polyester Round Eye & Eye Lifting Sling - 10' (Orange)

Endless Polyester Round Lifting Sling - 10' (Black)

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  4. angrytrans

angrytrans Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    Flatbedder here Iv used g70 3/8 chain a few times in a low stress situation, but I carry this tow rope I tactfully repurposed. It’s rated for 150,000lbs it’s 1 inch diameter, it was used to replace the tow cables for tanks, we used them for our strykers while I was in Alaska. I would advise getting a rope or strap over a chain any day. I was actually at mud fest at power line park the day that a chain broke and ended up in a guys skull. Ever since it’s straps for me when there is any shock involved.

Attached Files:

Ruthless Thanks this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Off road stringing trucks or loggers pulled or lowered by 2 D-10s with straps never a chain. Chains break straps tear big difference.

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    What? Once either go it's a break. Both dramatically.

7. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    As long as it's just the strap that breaks, it won't really do much damage. Where people get hurt is when they use substandard rigging...a high grade shackle on a low grade securement point, which adds a metal projectile onto the end of the strap as it recoils. With a strap, you need to make certain that the strap IS the weakest link.

Rodeorowdy, MACK E-6, Woodys and 2 others Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I wrap my chains. VS one long strand.

I think there's better pulling power by wrapping. It also keeps the distance short so if by chance it DOES break. It's not flying very far.

I have no idea on the G rating of the chain I have but it's only 5/16 and has worked very well. And used on a daily basis when the tractor busts his up. He's had 3./8 and 1/2. And usually does pretty good with those as 1 strand. But occasionally he can't get traction and does the JERK thing. If the field is slightly wet I'll let him go with 1 strand. If the field is soaked. Winter time. I double it.

With my chain. It's wrapped for 2 strands per side of anchor. Only leaving the tractor with 4 feet of space.
    With the tractor's thicker chains. Best that I can do is a circle. The weakest link would be at the anchor points.

He's never busted a chain on me. But the other trucks he has. And I have no idea how. But considering they're all greenies with very little experience.

I have no problem with chain. But I prefer to wrap and keep it short. For obvious safety reasons you all speak of. Like you all. I have concerns with a one strand 20 foot pull.

The rope things posted on this thread are a good idea. With that kind of pulling power. Unfortunately. I"m not the equipment buyer. And not sure how it could be double wrapped.

For you guys that only pull normal or less weight and probably not very thick mud. That rope is probably all you'll ever need.

For us weighing 100,000 pounds and having to drive through a very soaked field of mud. It's a different story.

It really boils down to the operation. And safety. If you can double or quadruple wrap. And keep it short. That's safer then 1 long stretch.

Rodeorowdy Thanks this.
  10. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I had a strap made at US Cargo. Since it was going to be used just for pulling and not overhead lifting it was very reasonable price wise.

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Back when we ran dumptrucks, every truck had a 3/4” cable with eyes on each end (steel choker). Seemed when a dumbtruck got stuck bad, the steel choker was all that would hold up. The dozer man would always want to push you out, but that will tear up your spreadboard and the tailgate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.