Bored US trucker wants to go drive in England

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Jan 18, 2020.

1. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Funny how that works in reverse, though... huh ?

Come on, everybody !!! One and All. We got jobs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, that's a good point. While I'm sure I personally will still be able to vross the channel Visa free with my US Passport post-Brexit, I'm not sure how that's going to work while driving a commercial vehicle on a work visa.

ZVar Thanks this.
  4. changeoflife

changeoflife Light Load Member

May 24, 2012
    I had a similar question and don't want to start a whole new thread. Unlike OP, I'm American born and raised with two Scottish parents. I'm a citizen by descent and hold a current British passport. How difficult would it be for me to become a truck driver in Britain? Would my 7 and a half years in the US be meaningless? I've been wanting to move to Scotland for years now and have been feeling more and more curious about that prospect. Thanks in advance.

5. changeoflife

May 24, 2012
    I visited a cousin in Bath, England a couple of years ago and I will admit that the extreme narrowness of the roads gave me pause! :eek:

6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yes, and it's hard to position the car when driving on the wrong side. I was always worried about hitting the garbage cans with the mirror. Even did it a couple of times. I guess that's what I get for renting a midsize crossover instead of the little tiny cars everybody else drives.

7. changeoflife

May 24, 2012
    Makes sense why cabovers are the standard... you really do need to see EVERYTHING in front of you! I've been hauling port containers for the last several years ( 45, 40, and 20 footers) and even they would be difficult on those roads!

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I lived in Switzerland for 3 years. Not a truck driver yet, but my experience was that laws are strictly enforced. Traffic cameras everywhere. And folks obey the rules. Traffic just flows. I wouldn't dream of driving a truck on those narrow roads, especially thru the Alps.
    Want to see the world? Join the Peace Corps. :rolleyes:

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  9. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I think the proportion of roads that are legal truck routes is much smaller over there, and it's much more critical to always follow them. As long as you do that, it's probably fine, or at least not any worse than Long Island and stuff. And the big motorways are totally fine, those are in better shape than US interstates.

changeoflife Thanks this.
  10. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    New Zealand seems to be looking for workers.

I was just surfin' the Net one day, and looked up trucking jobs and immigration rules in NZ.

I was getting "Are you still interested in immigrating to New Zealand?" emails in my inbox for about two months, complete with links to helpful resources.

I've looked into immigration procedures for a few other countries, in case "push comes to shove" and I have to leave the USA.

I've found that most countries want a lot of money from you to immigrate, and want you to have six months to a year of living expenses. That's BEFORE you've moved your stuff and found a place. You have to have a job ready and waiting for you.

It was fun to play with in my mind, but I ain't going anywhere. Sorry for the long post and good luck!

11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Just go there for vacation occasionally and drive around. That way it always feels like vacation. If it becomes work it feels like work after all the headache of getting legal to work there.

Just passing by and homeskillet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.