Breakdown ,responsibilities

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Rocketfire, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    First of all, if there is a problem with the starter, DO NOT under any circumstance shut the truck off! Have to get pull-started once? Company pays. Second time in the same trip? That's on you. Keep it running until you get back to the yard for the company hacks to fix or until you pull into a shop bay to have the repairs performed on the road.

If the truck won't idle and shuts down on its own with no way to override it, then the company should've routed you to a shop to get it fixed immediately after the 1st pull-start. That's the way they spec'd their truck, so it becomes their responsibility to pay to have the truck restarted every time it shuts off on its own until they decide to have it repaired. In the meantime, since it won't maintain a safe temperature inside while you sleep, they ought to pay for motels, too, until they decide to fix the truck.

Considering a starter costs about the same as a pull-start, and a shop ought to be able to put it on in about an hour, by the time they paid for the 2nd pull-start, they could've fixed the truck.

shogun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocketfire

Rocketfire Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017

4. Rocketfire

Dec 23, 2017
    Thank you, for your replies here. You guys are the greatest. Now I know what to do. I'm stuck here for the holiday anyway. So I'll find someone to pull start it .If I can't. I'm hoping to just get someone to help bang on that solenoid. Everyone , enjoy your holidays. Appreciated the responses

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    When you get the truck started again don't shut it off. Get the truck back to them and find another job they aren't worth the time. Go in the truckstop and stay warm.
    Go to a hotel do no leave the truck there if you do then they'll put Abandoned truck on your record. It's a no win situation until you get home.

6. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Where are you at?

7. Rocketfire

Dec 23, 2017
    Carlisle,PA, at their Flying J

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Isn't there anyone besides your boss you can call?He should have given you an emergency number.His responsibility is to have the truck towed to the nearest shop and pay for a room for you.Everything will be closed till after Christmas so I

keep calling and texting your boss every 15 minutes he will get tired of it and finally answer.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    See if you can find anybody to show you how to jump the starter solenoid posts. It's not hard to do once you know how but it's better if someone shows you the first time. It's something every driver should know how to do.
    When you get the truck running, set the high idle and just let it run.
    As soon as you get back to California, bail out. Don't give your boss any notice, he doesn't deserve it.
    If it comes down to the point where you have to spend any of your own money to keep the truck going you'll have to make the decision whether or not to abandon it. I don't advise doing that but in extreme cases, like yours, it can be justified.
    Good luck, keep us posted on how things turn out.

10. Rocketfire

Dec 23, 2017
    Haha, I did just that. Called every few minutes till he got sick of me. Truck was pull started not fixed. But I'm carrying this load to Calif. And looking for another job. It's easier to find a job while you have one.. No doubt I'll have one that same day. . . Besides I didn't care for his new name he gave me. . Thanks everybody.

Lonesome, wore out and pattyj Thank this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What's the new name?When looking for a job find a company with top knotch equipment otherwise you'll be going from one bad company to another and probably a bad safety record.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.