Buying a Freightliner 07, 515 hp 3.58 ratio..Need some tips so I don't get a lemon

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Freightguy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Yop, and I would rather let a properly programmed ECM control the turbo then second guessing it with a hardwired.

Along with the actual fuel and timing curves it should be getting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Lets start a new thread on Egr deletes since that is not what the OP was asking about.

That being said (an i will add this to another post if its started) your mod is fooling the engine into thinking its at one altitude all the time. I dont think this will blow the engine, but if you hit a lot of mountains it could be problematic. I saw a guy who did this mod post on the forum he was having high altitude problems and his truck just about died at 10,000 feet. If you runt he same altitude, its a good mod, but if you run mountains there are other more expensive ways to properly delete you egr.

4. sharecropper

sharecropper Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    I have done this many years ago but you must hide your work because it's now illegal in all 50 states If a truck operates an annual 100,000 miles a year at 5.0 miles to the gallon. Cost would be at (4.25) per gallon =$85,000.00 per year in fuel. Now lets say the increase was 0.4 at 5.4 miles per gallon the savings would be $78,704.00. = $6,296.00 Yr. / 52 weeks = 121.07 weekly in the bank. These are just numbers so you can adjust them to fuel prices and miles per gal and miles ran to see savings

5. sharecropper

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    Guys I have a T2000 with a 600 HP Detroit and I run from Charleston SC to Washington State so I have a neat setup built by a local engine guru that has his own trucks plus a daughter that also runs a 650HP Detroit. This guy owns alot of car care centers that does mufflers and other engine repairs. My run is very extreme from sea level to the extreme mountains west. Problem with dino is it's tuned at what ever sea level you are in and this does not cover the extreme routes that I run so he designed an adjustable system for my truck also for his daughters truck as she runs CA and needs to be on the money if they check her.I really don't think there is a truck out there that can run with her 650 anyway our systems are located in cab and can be unplugged and hid in a few secs. My torque new was 2050 foot pounds and now its 2870 with other changes to my 60C Detroit. With 80,000 GW I can get 6.9 on each trip. Total updates to my truck cost me around 6K but I have made that back many times over. This guy can make trucks like the f-250 power strokes take on a new life but he will not do this at his muffler shops it's done at his shop at home. As good as my truck runs I can't run with his daughters 650, I don't think anybody can. Remember all these changes are not EPA approved like the EGR deleter and other mods and the fines are really high.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    peterd Thanks this.
  6. Horse Whisperer

Horse Whisperer Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013

Yes, indeed... my savings figure is based on an average of $3.90 per gallon... I went from 4.5-5.2 mpg loaded at 80k to 7.8mpg loaded at 80k, no change in driving habits or speeds... dramatic fuel savings... the whole point of using the battery holder from radio shack is to disguise the mod, somewhat... I've never had a DOT inspector spot it... tucked back into the spaghetti, they'd have to be looking for it specifically... other than CARB (stay OUT of CA for that reason), the EPA is the only agency that would have any real skin in the game... I did pass the NJ emissions inspection about 6 months after I made the mod... If an Op wants to REALLY get away with this whole thing, use the fuel savings to get a LEGAL pre-EGR motor (can't be installed in an "EPA" frame), and slap it in a Glider kit... still can't do CA, but seriously... WHO cares??? Let those morons come to AZ to get their freight or let all the mega carriers saturate those markets... keeps them outta mine!

sharecropper Thanks this.
  7. sharecropper

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    Yep that's right

8. Freightguy

Freightguy Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Alright seems like you guys know ur stuff.. Taking everything into consideration. Sounds like however I prob need a super mechanic for just in case and maximum profit.

Where can I find a awesome mechanic?
    Anywhere!!!
    Trust level of the mechanic from 1 being the lowest 10 being the highest.

9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have three guys I trust.

One is rebel 127 from here. He's the ONLY one I'll let into my computer.

The other two are my mechanics back home. One does all the general work. The other does all my engine work.

10. sharecropper

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    Hey Freightguy, it would help to know where you live like in what state. Sometime it's worht the trip to travel out of the way just to get your truck at it's max. Remember; This puts money in your pocket therefore paying any mods you need to make. There has been many changes to the 60 C Detroit and as time goes on there will be more. Let me give you some early stupid thing so you can see: Earyly on the 60c Detroit was Idle to low stealing out pressure from mains, rods and cams and before your were faced with a spun main. We have so many smart guys here and you can easly tap into their Minds real easy by just asking.

11. Freightguy

Freightguy Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    I live in south Texas..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.