Calex Express....My New Home!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thanks, I went online today and found out what you said to do. I don't know if it works, but if it ever happens again I'll try it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well I spent the day today getting my truck taken care of. But of course at 8am when I walked into safety I was handed a sheet that went something like this, congratulations (not), you have been randomly selected to get a drug screen. So off I went down to the lab to piss in a cup and hand it to a young lady. What a job, handling someone elses urine. This is the second time in 3 months I got called in for this. That's what happens when you work for a smaller company, your chances of having your number called is pretty good. I'm just glad I decided not to open that bottle of Jack....lol. Actually, being clean and sober for the last 26 years helps.

I must say, the shop took care of my truck today. I know I've been critical of it in the past, so when something is done right I will be the first to say great job. I got to the yard at 7am just as they were opening up. The guys in the service bay waved me in as I was pulling up to the shop. They had me out in an hour. Right after lunch they pulled me in for my inspection, new windshield, 2 new batteries, and a new air leveler valve for my rear suspension. I lost both my balance weights on my front tires and was told to be back in the morning and it'll be taken care of then. While all this was being done Louie called and asked me if I would do him a favor and run a trailer down to Pottsville, drop it and bring back an empty. I was in the middle of my reset but realized if I started my clock I still would be able to get one in before leaving out on Wednesday morning. So off I went in a loaner truck. I went down and back in 2 hours, spent more time going through the gate then anything else and still made a fifty dollar bill for my troubles.

This dedicated run I've been on the last 5 weeks is officially mine as of today. I asked to be put on it full time only if the O/O that's been doing it the last year and a half is not going to do it anymore. He is one of the nicest guys I know here, is always willing to talk with you and very helpful. If he was going to stay on it I would have waited for something else to open up, it's not like I don't get home on a regular basis, I do, but this is a pretty nice gig. The miles are perfect for me, 2750 on average, there's 3 extra stops I get paid for, and the most work I do is open my trailer doors. Plus I leave the house Monday morning and get back home Friday morning. Louie did say that he will use me for the coast if he is ever in a jam, which is fine with me. My work relationship with Louie is an absolute dream, I have never in my 3+ years here ever said no to him, and have had nothing but a great work experience with him.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Hitman Thanks this.
  4. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the reply John. Glad to hear that there are no major problems at your house. Nice neighborhood...I love topical climates and landscapes!

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  5. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well now I'm totally bored. It's time to get the hell out of here and go to work. I had my front tires balanced this morning, hung around the terminal a while then got my trailer assignment from Louie. I'm sitting up at the Petro waiting on a buddy of mine that will be in around 8pm tonight. He also is on a dedicated run into Florida, except he finishes up in Naples on Friday around 10am, then he to goes home to Cocoa Beach for the weekend. Tom has been doing his run for about 5 months now. We both wind up with the same miles, except he has the same 6 drops every week where I have 3 drops and 2 pick ups.

6. Cyanide

Cyanide Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Glad you were able to get that run John. Will you please tell Tom I said "hi"? We last crossed paths right before I took my son home about three weeks ago. I would appreciate it! Be safe out there :)

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  7. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Well in Buda,TX with auto trans. blues.In Volvo shop.The people are great.Manager bought me lunch.Truck dont like to shift anymore,goes in to nuteral an reves itself up.Then goes back to previous gear.No codes.Shop cant figure that out.Think its elect.,or coumpter.So today its getting all upgrades and recall work it never had.It,s got 651000 mi on it.So its due for some tlc.Louie talking about a rent a truck.We,ll see what today brings. JB hope your home an family weather the storm just fine.When I get truck back I,ll need oil change.I think we all feel the same as JB when it comes to co. shop. Thats not limited to Calex. Any Co shop is about the same.Calex,s shop does a good job.Just the sitting around. Be safe all.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  8. Cyanide

Cyanide Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Drifter, that truck is practically brand new lol. The one I had ('07, #23271) was an old team truck before I got into it and it had over 850k when I turned it in a few days ago. I quit keeping track of exact miles that I had put on it myself, but I know that it was in the neighborhood of 115k, and then combined with the first truck and two other loaner trucks I drove roughly a total of about 135k in my 13 months with Calex

That coincidentally, is one of the reasons that I left; Louie and Jason absolutely ran my tail off but yet when I looked at the bottom line the $$$ wasn't enough to justify staying. Especially not when combined with the health insurance rate change that we got hit with, the ridiculous duration of their slow down period, and more importantly, the fact that Calex will charge a driver for freight claims, whether it is said driver's fault or not.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now (or possibly over, if you're in New Orleans) and I'm not going to derail John's thread. If anyone cares to know more p.m. me or check my other postings elsewhere.

Y'all be safe, I'm enroute to GA coming out of Texas, and going right towards Isaac hahahaha

JohnBoy and fancypants Thank this.
  9. cjakes

cjakes Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    I saw one of the FL dedicated calx drivers today. It was interesting to actually see one of you guys since I started reading the thread a couple of days ago. 23299 truck #..

10. fancypants

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Today they did software upgrades on coumpter.Now codes come up.Tomarrow I,ll be back on the road.XY valve. Ya ok tell me when its fixed.they have been in close contact with Eaton the whole time.

11. fancypants

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Well hope everyones having good day.Should be my last day at Best Western.Vanguard trucks Buda,TX.Good shop.TV Laundry,Mircowave,shower.All clean an friendly.If ya gotta be broke down...Aim for here.HEHE.Told i,ll have trk back today.They said this will fix it.Once everything way upgraded an codes came up trk woent even start.Well got go.Back to shop.oh boy stay safe

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.