Calex Express....My New Home!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. lost-in-montana

lost-in-montana Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    let me tell you my adventure with that glorious company (sarcasm) I lasted 2 months. Why? Well I went thru 5 trucks in 2 months because of mechanical failure. My pay was less then stellar. They put me in a truck with a known issue A KNOWN ISSUE of getting stuck In gear. They left me hanging in 100 degree heat in deleware because that shop gal. The chubby one with glasses and attitude said Ray would Calle right back with a decision. Three hours later I call. I get ray. I ask ray why he didn't call me back. His reply. I never got the message and I'm busy. That instant I knew it was over. All I can say is good luck with Calex. Years ago it was a good company. So I heard. Then the kids took over. Correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I generally like the company or I wouldnt have returned. While every company has issues, I think theirs pale in comparison to others, and we as drivers are still treated with much more respect than at many other carriers as well.

That being said, for me, the issue I have with short term loaners is that I have my truck set up my way with my things. If I'm going to be in a long term loaner, I have no problem switching things over. If it's going to be for a day, then it becomes a cumbersome task if I were to do a full move and take everything with me. If I don't, then somewhere down the line, I'm probably going to need that item that I left in the other truck.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  4. lost-in-montana

lost-in-montana Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I understand trust me.I had to keep making that move. Final straw was when they took the truck with all my stuff in a loaned it out to another driver. I drove down to Pittston. Scratched my head and said. Where is my truck. I got the OH we had to let another driver in it. He will be back tommorow afternoon. WTF? I said i have all my things in the truck. I got no reply. I was done right there.

5. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well this is a total shame, but one I fully understand. The company lost one of the best drivers I have ever been associated with. Not just for your driving ability, but your professionalism and personality. We both know what the problem was and that it became a tiresome burden to deal with every week. I know for a fact they will not get another driver to fill your shoes on your dedicated run. You became and will always be a close friend, I don't see nothing changing as far as our friendship. In fact, I will still look forward to our 1am conversations on Thursday mornings. I know what you bring to the table, I know what Calex lost in having you leave here and I also know what your new company is getting, good luck my brother, don't change a thing. Like I always tell you, do good, get good in return.

6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I am really pissed this happened. Chris is a good dude, a one of a kind driver that takes his job seriously. It didn't have to come to this. When I started driving 33 years ago the same 2 problems we are talking about today were the same 2 problems back then, payroll and maitenance. You would think these companies would have perfected this by now. We are told that these are not an issue, but as what happened to Chris, 12 out of 14 weeks had major issues with payroll. Throw in the fact that the shop has it's share of major issues and you can see why a 2 year driver here left a dedicated run that got him home ever Friday morning, finally had enough and left for another job. I knew about this for a while, I know where he's going and I know it will be a big loss for us and a big plus for his new company. I will not over step my boundary and say who he's going to work for, not my place, Chris will when he sees fit.

I won't bad mouth anyone or any department here, but I will say that the corporate model has changed and all they need to do is look in the mirror to find out how to correct it. There's more drivers like Chris out there, but what or how are they going to attract those type of drivers? I do my job, very good I might add, what do I get? a dedicated run to the house every week, 2750 miles per week and thats it. The hometime is great and has been since the first day I started working here. After 4 years, no accidents, no tickets 100% on time p/u and delivery all equates to no raise. What keeps me here now is this run, thats it. I know the company and especially Louie and Jason appreciate what I bring to the table, no matter what I'm feeling, I will always do the same job today as I did yesterday. My payroll issue? I do the same thing every week, how hard can my pay be? My truck? I am just glad I drive this 12 year old KW with over 1.5 million on the clock. Outside of tires it never breaks down. Not like the 4 Volvo's I had, that could not pass a dealership without stopping in or getting towed at a cost of $850 to replace a $39 sensor, that took the dealer 1 hour to replace. Payroll and maitenance, the same 2 problems that I had 33 years ago, except now it cost this company an excellent driver.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. UTI TRANSPORT

UTI TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    WOW is all I can say... I hate to even read things like this but it is what it is I'm sure or we wouldn't be reading about it as I would think something so simple as in this would and could get resolved before it all had to come to a end as it did.

I sure hope this is a wake up call for Calex Express and they figure something out how to fix their problems as it's never good when you lose drivers like they are as good drivers are hard to find these days and they sure won't be able to replace them either they way they are going about it..

Sorry to hear this and hate seeing things like this happen to what was and could still be a good company. I have followed this thread from day one and admire you guys in what you do and put up with and always kept a great attitude always..

No matter what continues to happen or changes you guys make I wish you the best and I'm sure it will be their loss and another companies gain and you guys know who I'm talking about here..

8. THE ROOKIE

THE ROOKIE Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Buena Vista, GA
    Well John I dont quite know what to say other than I am extremely humbled by your comments. I only know how to do this job one way so that will never change. After seeing Crystal and how excited she was this morning all is back to normal, she is laying on the couch with her leave me alone look. I must have caught a cold because right now I feel horrible. First time being sick in over 2 years. Oh well I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow so please give me a call if you can. Again thanks for the kind words as I know they come from a sincere heart.

JohnBoy and Cyanide Thank this.
  9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.

You would think this would wake someone up, I highly doubt it though. We aren't a big company, something like 165 trucks on the road. I have seen the same issues here that has done in other companies over the years. If you want to attract and keep good experienced drivers, and not just seat warmers, it requires pay, benefits and a few other things like not advertising no slip seating and having some guys go through 3 or 4 trucks in a week. We had a new driver come on last month that was recommended by his buddy, the guy was put in and taken out of 5 trucks in 10 days and finally told them goodbye. We have a 2 year driver that had nothing but major payroll issues who never made it to Pittston because of his dedicated run, that started his day at midnight and ended at 10am all week long, then had to spend hours on the phone during normal business hours to chase down his money, then winds up on a conference call with all involved to be promised it will be straightened out, only to have payroll the following week not pay him at all, can we say the pervebial straw that broke the camels back? It's pretty bad when you do your job, make enough money during the week, but need to transfer money from your savings to your checking to cover you mortgage. My issues with the company are the same as anyones else, the difference being I am fortunate enough to be finacially secure to deal with payroll issues, not that it makes it right, but still, I and a few others that I work with are on the same runs week after week for over a year, you would think we would be the last ones needing to chase after our pay. In fact, I've had more issues in the 8 months doing this run then I have the 3 years before.

Fix these issues and I'm almost positive you'll be able to hire more qualified long term drivers and not just a seat warmer to keep one of your trucks on the road. I'm very vocal and outspoken when it comes to the job and the company. I want to see them be finacially secure and take care of their employees, which will in the long term cut down on the revolving door syndrome, which affects my income.

Metallica88, Cyanide and UTI TRANSPORT Thank this.
  10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Feel better pal. I know you will have a good relaxing drive out to KCMO. I'll call you after I leave the house this afternoon. Be safe.

Cyanide and mile marker Thank this.
  11. mile marker

mile marker Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Pittsburgh Pa

So true John so true, funny thing is so many companies operate this way, they just figure they will find someone else.
    I mean I know there will always be turnover with OTR, but what makes me laugh is all these companies have the BEST miles, BEST money, BEST hometime.... So why do you need drivers if you have the BEST of everything.

I mean all the money spent on getting new drivers.... I guess its still cheaper for them doing it this way, then to keep on long term drivers that make more per mile and good health care... I'm glad I don't own a company cause I couldn't do things that way to be sucessfull. I mean don't get me wrong, there are some good companies, but like you said, things that have been a problem way back when you started are still the same problems, but yet they still try all these gimmicks but don't address the issues.

JohnBoy and Cyanide Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.