CALLING CON-WAY FREIGHT DRIVERS: LLA {Con-Way Freight} Teamster Vote 9/12/14

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by XFM2013, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    Jakebrake12 I have a couple of friends that work at Conway Freight. Your right 5-10 years ago that wasn't even a thought those guys had a defined benefit pension, very good health insurance, and correct me if I'm wrong the bonuses they got at one time were top notch. Fast forward to today and the pension is gone, bonuses are less than a $1000.00 bucks and their health insurance premiums have skyrocketed. Plus throw in shiny wheels pulling freight along with an army of part timers taking away overtime for a full timer. This is just what I have heard from others, correct me if I'm wrong.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. XFM2013

XFM2013 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    Spot on driver, and our guys are pretty disenchanted these days. Since Laredo has voted more terminals have filed and it's starting to spread.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    I hope it does spread. I have a CWF terminal 3 miles from my house. It would be nice to have a option if i ever say screw it and leave my current union LTL employer.

It's a start. Thanks OP

My generation ( b1981) likes the unions. Doesn't believe in media crap and honestly wants the unions back,I hope it spreads
    Our grandparents retired from the unions and built a family tree on pensions

5. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I dont think the question is so much wether unions are good or bad, or if they can bring any changes to Conways workers. I think the point here is those guys have become increasingly disgruntled over the years as their pay and benefits have been pissed on while Conway's corporate pets have made every bizarre decision they have come across.

I dislike Conway as a whole. Its one of those companys that seem to care more about safety numbers than safety itself. The type of company that would pound following distance sensors on your head but then would hide the fact one of their terminals is full of asbestos so they didnt have to pay for the cleanup bill, just to make an example.

6. XFM2013

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    It's a GREAT start and it is moving into CA and into the south where historically their wages and benefits how been outpaced by the north for years. Con-WAy is not done yet however, as they have made a big announcement of an upcoming company meeting that supposedly will make the drivers very happy?? We'll see :biggrin_25512:

7. XFM2013

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    ya think?? :biggrin_2556: Record profits and no sharing the wealth. It's actually too little too late I'm afraid but I suppose we have to wait and watch as the saga continues to unfold. and yes, all of our newer trucks have ON-Guard systems (following meter's) as well as camera's that view inside and outside the truck, complete with audio. Of which neither bother me too much, but it's sure amazing what a person can get used to. The camera has actually proved to be more of an help than a distraction, I have spoken to several drivers whom have had incidents that were non-preventable and not at fault and the camera supported those drivers, myself included. Double edged sword though I understand.

8. XFM2013

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    {I just realized how ridiculous this comment was and needed to share} I wonder how folks arrive at decisions to make such statements? Perplexing to me, yet somehow typical of both the age/mentality of the interweb so it's not so far fetched.....I guess kudos for keeping the mood light?? :biggrin_25511:

9. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Glad to see it .....it's about time !!!!! Conway !!!!!

10. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    you are right, its a generational thing. i was born in 1984, and watched my grandparents, uncles, and dad retire from the uaw. the generations before us dropped the ball, and its about time we get something back out of these ########...

11. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    a union is neither good or bad- it is made of the folks you choose to represent you and your interests, listen and choose wisely

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.