Can a "felon" get a break?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by paradimethyl, Dec 3, 2008.

1. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I forget what state I was in recently, but the gov had a huge billboard stating that:

Littering is a FELONY!

I just had to roll my eyes. They spend all that money trying to describe how serious an offense it is, and all they accomplish is complete and total dilution of the impact of what a felony is these days. Pretty soon no one will care anymore. You can't just legislate stigma. It has to mean something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jride

jride Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2009
    in my living room.
    omg this thread is so funny especialy the guy who thinks that if you have ever had an arrest you shouldnt be able to drive! alomost everyone of the "old school drivers" had an arrest on thier record. so all that food you was crammin in your mouth was more than likely delivered by a criminal. hmmm i wonder if they all still have their license. lol keep it going, i was laughing so hard i spilt my coffee!

4. paradimethyl

paradimethyl Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Martinsburg, WV
    It has been quite some time since I posted this original post. Thank you to 99% of the responders who came out with both encouragement and good advice. I HAVE been hired and am enjoying my trucking for the most part.

To BoDarville01: You seem to have misread and or misunderstood a significant portion or the intent of the post. I understand that one's record of "following the law" or not will obviously be taken into consideration in a hiring decision. If I was hiring, I would look at it myself.

MY POINT (which you either missed, or simply disagree with) is that it is (or i would think SHOULD be) only ONE of a NUMBER of factors which should be taken into consideration when deciding on the suitability for a driving position.

You go on to make up this unrelated to the situation scenario:

If there are two applicants for one job, one is a felon, with all possible endorsments, driving for 5 years, and the other has only been driving for a year with no endorsements, then what i'm saying, is the driver with only one year experience should get the job because he or she is a law abiding citizen.

First of all, I'm not sure I would make the same decision as you, even in the scenario as described,

Second of all, just because you don't have a record is NO PROOF that the other guy is a "law abiding citizen" - it just means he hasn't gotten caught.

Thirdly, What about if you have personal knowledge that the "law abiding citizen" likes to smoke pot on the weekends, or is a pill-head? Or has embezzled past employers?

Fourthly, no where did I say or imply that one can
    break the law, and like in the movies, serve in the military, or do something heroic and think you have the right to have your slate wiped clean.

As a point of fact, you are dead wrong about having the slate wiped clean - its called expungement, and it applies to everyone, not just people that do good (or "heroic") things

fifthly, what if we look at some of the OTHER FACTORS, like, for example, the "law abiding citizen" can't seem to keep his speed under control while driving, (I'm SURE no one here, especially you, has EVER gone even one mile per hour over the posted speed limit, right?) or has had accidents, log violations, etc. etc. You see, there should be a balance point where the significance of the only physical altercation of my entire adult life 7 years ago, should be a little less worrisome to a company than many of the other things that can make a driver "undesireable".

Now, that said, BoDarville, your statement to "man up" was purely inflammatory.

We who have been through this process, whether "fairly" or not (I know it may come as a serious shock to you that the law enforcement/justice system is not 100% perfect) HAVE manned up, and done whatever the system required of us, including stupid #### like paying for psychologist bills for our "victims" who obviously went there for no other purpose than creating expenses that I would be required to reimburse. Still, I stood up and paid the costs, both financial and to my record.

Now why don't YOU man up, and admit that you flew off the handle without really understanding the intent of the post?

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  5. jride

jride Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2009
    in my living room.

6. jride

jride Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2009
    in my living room.
    omg sorry for that mess up of my reply,,i was just wondering if the company you currently work for is hiring? i have had no luck cuz of my 7.6 yr old felony...need a job bad- thanks

7. BoDarville01

BoDarville01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    lets see that argument hold up in a court of law. Granted i've had tickets for speeding, but when i say 'law abiding citizen' it is used as a figure of speech....i.e. for those who dont have criminal histories.

You found someone to hire you? great. Hope you get out of it everything you want.

maybe not you, but other posters have implied it.

was it really? i believe i said "...what about maning up, and facing the judge for what you've done? You think one should be able to beat the !#$% out of someone then not have any responsibility. Every action has a cause and an effect." You disagree with that?? If so, geeze, i hope i dont ever run into you at a bar....cause i sure would hate to get into a fight with you, then see you crying to the officer about how unfair it is...again.

ME not understanding the intent of the post...i believe the title of this thread speaks volumes. I see a felon crying about not being able to get a fair shake, blaming employers for looking at criminal history and tossing that applicant asside.

Again, great you found a job........just stay out of the bars.

8. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    BoDarville01:

Still don't get it do you!

You state:

"... for those who don't have criminal histories."

A bar fight does not constitute a Criminal History. A criminal history, loosely defined, is: A demonstrated pattern of repeated criminal activity. Pharmphail makes note of a State in which Littering is a Felony. I guess you would say that in that State, were a person convicted of Littering, he/she would then meet the definition of a Criminal (with a Criminal History, no less) Can't have someone like that driving a truck, they might "...drive up on a sidewalk, run over some children."

You state:

"...what about manning up, and facing the judge for what you've done? You think one should be able to beat the !#$% out of someone then not have any responsibility. Every action has a cause and an effect." You disagree with that??"

Are you serious? The entire matter has been adjudicated. Oh, by the way, not only did this man "face the judge for what he did"; that judge, based on the facts of the case, saw fit to strike the conviction from the record.

You state:

"ME not understanding the intent of the post...i believe the title of this thread speaks volumes. I see a felon crying about not being able to get a fair shake, blaming employers for looking at criminal history and tossing that applicant aside."

That's right, YOU!!! You're definitely more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal! You're stuck on the title, which was very poorly phrased. If you took the time to read the posts you would find the following to be at the heart of this thread. Paradimethyl opened this thread by stating the following and asking for advice:

"...I attended a 12 week truck driving school and earned my CDL with HM/tanker/double/triples endorsements...Now I find out that because I... have a felony assault on my record (and my inexperience), none of the companies I have applied to are interested in hiring me. I have 24 years of serving my country in uniform, a college degree, a 130 something IQ...I went back to court in 2006 and the conviction was STRICKEN, so the courts don't even consider it a conviction, but apparently every trucking company in America does.

"So... did I waste 12+ weeks trying to get into this industry? Or is there someplace that can look at the total person and not just what happened on one crappy day long ago?"

Mgassel replied (incorrectly, I might add) with a degree of ignorance roughly equal to your own:

"Yes you wasted your time because you will find it will be next to impossible to get a job driving a truck when you have a felony."

Now, understand, this Forum serves driver's, aspiring driver's, and the interested public, in a common goal to better this industry in which we have chosen to follow. It is done through a group effort by advising, encouraging (NOT discouraging) those who are struggling, and sharing our various experiences. I, personally, never cease to be amazed by the breadth and depth of experience and the generosity of those who so freely give of their time to give assistance to those drivers who represent the coming generation of drivers, just as they, no doubt, were given assistance when they aspired to become drivers. So, it just really pisses me off when bigoted, ill-informed, pretentious, and arrogant people come along spreading venom. Now, you have every right to do so, if that's what rings your bell. But, at least have the decency to support your accusations with quotations (am I repeating myself?)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  9. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Paradimethyl:

I hope my posts don't make you uncomfortable. Understand that: I am not fighting your battles; nor, do I feel it necessary that I take on your defense due to any lack of ability to do so yourself. In you, I see a classic example of an otherwise solid citizen who made a mistake. Often, police responding to a bar fight simply classify it as "mutual combat" and instruct the participants to "Go and sin no more". This guy Bodarville01 is a classic example of an attitude of ignorance and intolerance. He questions ones right to be considered his "equal", twists the facts to suit his arguments, and feels he has a God-given right to judge everyone but himself. No doubt he is a lonely guy.

Congratulations on the job! You deserve it; and, NOT in spite of your past---But, because of it!!!!

SprkPlug62 and panhandlepat Thank this.
  10. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    people make mistakes, thats how we learn .
    just some have to pay more "stupid tax" than others LOL
    glad ya found a gig man!!

SprkPlug62 and dynosaur Thank this.
  11. BoDarville01

BoDarville01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

okay...so explain "work history"?? you dont have any work history if you've only held one job then??

Like when you open your first checking account starts your credit history, so does getting convicted of a felony from "just a bar fight".

try to argue your way out of that.....:biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.