Can OSS tires have new tread from a grinder?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Tripp_84, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Well there's quite a few more parameters to be met than not just into the cord. Tread depth, tread width etc. I find it beyond hard to believe that going into a scale with the tire in my picture all grinded up, some parts deeper than others, some parts wider than others the dot isn't slamming me with whatever violation it's called. But according to that fmcsa screenshot it's definitely a violation of not done correctly

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What kind of company do you work for?

That cheap?
    Not really, depending on the state. The recaps may not be regrooved but depends on what gator they use to recap the tire.
    Well each state had specific laws on the books.
    What a cheap company.

By the way, here is the thing about the regrooving, there is a legal liability involved with all of it. There have been a few cases where the carrier and driver lost and lost huge. One was here in Michigan and the other was in Maryland, both were specific to regrooving tires that needed to be scrapped. Using a regroover is the proper way to do things, using a grinder is a big no! The mechanic that stupid should be fired and lose his license to be a mechanic. It is as bad as the moron who was beating the crap out of a gear set on an ISX that I witnessed (and videoed), he wanted to pad the bill. The problem is it was my truck and he got fired for it, they rebuilt the engine for free.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    All I know is if I was a company driver and walked in the shop seen somebody grinding on a recap tire and claims the boss said do it. I would be cleaning my truck out & looking for a new job cause the hand writing is on the wall

Rubber duck kw, wis bang, Numb and 9 others Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    THANK YOU!!

JoeyJunk and Last Call Thank this.
  6. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    You & I both know how the song ends @Ridgeline lol

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I'd be okay with them grooving an otherwise decent tire, however them using a grinder to do so would have me running

blairandgretchen and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  8. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Heard drivers! The day I came in this past Monday and saw those tires and started going back and forth with them about it I went home and started applying. I've gotten a call back just waiting to move forward. Been here 7 years and it's gotten wild to say the least.

9. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I think you are doing the right thing and smart enough to see what’s probably coming.. JMO

10. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Lmao I seriously can't believe that meme actually applies to me right now lol just a clown world.

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.