Can you bypass the sleeper heater core?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by HopeOverMope, Apr 26, 2017.

1. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    My crystal ball says they are 1/2 male pipe to hose fittings needed. Those fittings are usually smooth with a hump at the end. Barbs have multiple humps which would work also but not the norm in heater hoses.
    Do away with two fittings under the hoses and use one. The hoses look to be 5/8's. If a 5/8 open end wrench will fit over the tube ,a little loose, where the top of the hose connects they are 5/8. If it won't they are 3/4.
    Over sized clamps have a longer area at the worm gear. This can cause them to be unable to conform to the smaller circle and leak, as mentioned.
    The blue hose is a superior silicon hose but they are softer and require a special clamp. They have an inner band inside the clamp that prevents pushing part of the hose through the slots in the clamp. This happens over time loosening the clamp and then leak.
    Who ever thought so much could be said about a couple of heater hoses?
    By the way it is marked on the ball valve, 1/2. Thanks Grape! I see that took me 30 minutes.

Rideandrepair and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  4. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    Ditto on what boxcar said about the blue (silicon) hose. They take their own kind of clamp. The best is the ones that you don't tighten but use pliers or the fancy tool to squeeze the ends and then release them once they are in place. Them seem to do the best just due to heat (expansion contraction thing)

Rideandrepair and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yeah I like that suggestion grapeApe, I didn't want to fool with trying to loosen those double ended thread pieces and damage one of my other lines. But I think that's the best solution paired with the right clamps. Now, I got some good gooey pipe dope or teflon tape, which would be preferable to use on the new pieces I install? My gut is telling me the pipe dope.

Time to drain my coolant Friday, into clean buckets. Because trying to crimp my lines seem to never work for me.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    I only use dope in my shop, only because it's easier to not allow teflon tape then it is to get people to use it correctly. It only takes 2 or so wraps and keep it on the threads. Sounds simple enough, but it isn't. I have no idea how people manage to get it inside the fittings, but on tear downs, I have found chunks of teflon tape inside things. I recently found a brake problem with a piece of teflon tape in a spring brake check valve (the one that holds air in the trailer tanks). When the brake were set, all the air dumped out of the trailer through the MV3 becasue the check valve couldn't seat.

With all that said, either works just fine when used correctly. If I were you, I'd get enough silicone hose to do all of your heater hoses and spend an afternoon to replace them all correctly and you be trouble free for years. That black hose in the picture is looking pretty shabby. It'll save you money in the long run.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    IMG_0813.PNG IMG_1001.JPG Finally got around to fixing... thanks grapeape, boxcarkidd and the crew

I got a coupler piece, then put a 5/8 pipe nipple attachment with a flange, also i got better clamps that are smooth on the inside

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    D.Tibbitt, Rideandrepair and GrapeApe Thank this.
  8. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    That's a lot better than clamping onto a pipe nipple. Personally, I would have found pipe nipples to screw right into those tee's and used longer hoses to eliminate 6 fittings. The simpler the better, more fittings only means more potential leaks, but what you have there should work just fine as long as all those fitting are sealed up good.

9. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yup, No doubt... i tried taking those fitiings out of the T, and those were some tight fittings... i figured i would leave them in -instead- trying to break em loose, twisting and damaging another hose connected at the T... hopefully it wont bite me later for it...

i would have rather simplified it, but i am a lot more satisfied where it is than how it was

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. TexasDevilDog

TexasDevilDog Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2019
    I can't find those two valves, I have a Paccar motor 386 pete

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Those four clamps are way too tight. Something isn't right for all 4 of those connections. You need to put something on all 4 with teeth. Too hard to convert to English and describe for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.