Cdl training on a Automatic transmission

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by asia35, Jun 21, 2017.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok here in lies the problem. if you train on an automatic, then test at the DMV on an automatic, many states stamp your CDL "automatic only".

now so say let's say you get a job with a company that has automatics, you're golden.

but say you get fired, or quit or you get a real slick higher paying job offer, but they have sticks?

you screwed yourself for a better future.

best to take the time and LEARN on a stick. no DMV tester is looking for perfection, but rather someone that can at least handle the gears. no one is born a stick user, we all had to learn.

give yourself a chance, relax and the school WILL work with you on this, and be better off for it as well.

good luck.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

A 10 speed is about as easy as it gets!..You need to learn it...period!
    If you ever break down and they bring you a manual what are you going to do???
    I have driven both and never liked an automatic....especially on slick roads!

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    While you will be able to get a CDL endorsement for Auto transmission this will greatly reduce your potential chances of getting a job as no doubt other experienced drivers will tell you becoming a truck driver is all about being able to change gears understanding how to match the revs with the speed when to change down etc etc.

5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    This is a load of BS, I learned to drive on an automatic truck and it taught me exactly when the truck needed to be shift. I learned quickly, it always upshifted at x amount of RPM at such and such speed. Ditto for downshifting. You will need to learn to drive a manual transmission at some point. Learning on an automatic in school will get you a restriction on your CDL and then you'll be unemployable. You'll also never be able to legally learn to drive the stick shift transmission with that "automatic only" restriction.

6. asia35

asia35 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2015
    my current situation a guy on the yard is teaching me. He's VERY PATIENT. I can say its a little overwhelming but I'm learning.

7. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Breathe deep and take your time. Everybody had to learn

Dan.S Thanks this.
  8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    if I can shift so can anyone else. people on here like to pick on me because i have been through a couple of jobs im far from perfect. my first company out of school (werner) put me into an automatic trainer's truck. my first thought was WHY are you training me on an automatic? stupid. i was unable to improve my shifting technique.

my 2nd job was CE crocker. nice people, not a bad job but i had no choice but to leave. we have had constant rain so i had little to no work. the truck they put me in was a freightliner cascadia day cab, with a 10 speed manual. i basically had to tech myself how to shift properly by myself. i knew only the basics. when i was in CDL school they never had us use a jake brake or pull a loaded trailer. so here i was driving a 80K loaded truck and having to shift. i was like a rusty nail at first, but i got it. 10 speeds are easy to shift. the next challenge, learn how to drive a 9 speed manual, it was an older truck 1991 international straight truck (auger truck). after a few miles of driving i was driving it almost perfectly.

after that job i ended up in a dump truck with an 8 speed with deep reduction. the hardest part of shifting this truck has been shifting on the hills. i am doing allot of driving in rural areas, lots of hills around here. you also often dont have the ability to gain the momentum before the hill. starting on a steep incline from a standstill proved to be extremely challenging at first but i get it now. start out with the low reduction on work up to 1st or 2nd gear then come out of low reduction. to do this move the blue selector and let your foot off the throttle, it will automatically go into high range WITHOUT depressing the clutch. here is the important part, not depressing the clutch. the moment you put your foot on the clutch you will loose all gained momentum, that's why these trucks have this deep reduction arrangement.

the point of all of this is, if i can shift anyone can shift. learn how to drive a manual, its still very much a part of trucking and will remain so for a long time to come. this is NOT like driving a car where manual transmissions are a niche. only driving automatic trucks will severely limit your employment prospects, and even most large companies wont take someone who has an "automatic restriction only" on their license.

shifting will get easier.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  9. Rebel Rider

Rebel Rider Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Not one person on this thread answers her question. Don't get me wrong. I agree with the answers. But none the less. She asked names of companies that train on automatic. Opinions aside. Some one should give her a answer.

born&raisedintheusa and JReding Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Chinatown answered the question. So there was one. ;)

born&raisedintheusa and Badmon Thank this.
  11. jfred2

jfred2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    L.I, N.Y.
    Crst trains using automatic trucks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.