Chains broke while driving.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chmpbt, Dec 27, 2017.

1. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Rookie mistake.
    What’s the top speed while chained? What’s the top speed if you end up on dry/wet roads with no snow?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I laughed.
    I'll admit it.

Do you think you need to chain for every flake of snow you see?.... The side streets / state routes / US routes are less well maintained than the highway system..... If the highway is clear, odds are pretty good that the alt routes don't require you to be chained.... I'm thinking you don't want to do it 10 times a day, and you probably didn't have to do it even once to begin with.

Where you from? Sunny State where they #### their pants promptly upon seeing an inch of snow.... Georgia, perhaps?

Grubby and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Aright man, have at it.

5. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    Bare roads and 45-50, they'll come apart quickly.

I understand not wanting to chain multiple times, but the only other option is to break a lot of chains, tires, fenders and anything else those chains can catch when they are coming apart. A night a couple weeks ago I chained 4 times and with huge heavy gauge 3-rail chains. I was miserable, sore, wet, and splashed by slush and salt spray each time a vehicle or plow went past. Some plow drivers think it is funny to splash us while we are chaining up. Fun times.

As a general rule chains shouldn't be run on bare/wet roads for more than is absolutely necessary and not above 20-25mph max. Even that will wear them down. I try really hard not to run chains on the freeways where I operate because they don't let snow pile up deep enough to justify it and by the time you want to kick them off the traffic is moving too fast to make it safe to pull over.

chmpbt, Dan.S and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    I'd rather you chained 100 times and didn't need to then not chain once and cause an accident, especially if you are sharing the road with me. Chaining sucks, but not being brave enough to admit you want to run chains sucks worse. I've run chains a few times when I didn't need to. Been laughed at over the CB, had people curse me for not running barefoot and 55mph. And I've also passed plenty of trucks smashed up against barrier walls and nose down in ditches while I'm clanking away in my chains. ;)

chmpbt, Hammer166, Dan.S and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    It seems inspecting things prior to needing them is a thing of the past.

8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I tend to think many people know of the 20-25 mph speed limit on chains. But after running 2-4 hours at those slow speeds, one might get a little bored and lose the discipline to not want to "stomp it" after rolling like a slug.
    I'd say just put those things on long enough to get you to a rest spot and park it if you know you'll lose it after a few hours.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's one way to do it. You'd want to make sure you drove 'til you were clear of the storm though. Otherwise you might wake up to more snow than when you went to bed.
    When that happens you're usually screwed. The snow has fallen all around you and your tires are sitting below the level of the snow.

bentstrider83 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Guess it's a good idea to look at those weather maps and check the extent of the storm. Nothing ruins your day quicker than noticing that gray area of garbage is encompassing a 2,000+ square mile region and there's no escape for a few days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.