Clutch brake? Clutch?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dallison, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I did the same, pop it into neutral if need to stop, turn off engine and put into low at same time. Start in gear and go!!

Magoo1968 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    adjusted to spec? 1/2” at clutch brake, 1/8” at fork? How much freeplay when adjusted to spec?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its just a clutch brake. Its not going to leave you stuck on the road.

5. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    I guess I'm just used to Eaton clutches. What brand clutches should I leave the linkage alone?
    Eaton.PNG

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've never had to touch linkage on an Eaton clutch after it was set unless someone dicked with it afterwards.

7. Dallison

Dallison Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    yep, had about 1.5 - 2 inch of free play like it did before it starting messing up.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I can’t help but wonder if you added a 2 pc clutch brake, leaving old one in. If that would buy time. They make oversize
    2 pc brakes. Sometimes they stack them, when the flywheels been turned down, to get proper clearances. You didn’t mention what yr make Truck it is. You can get a real nice Eaton easy pedal 2050 clutch with an installation kit for about $1200. Depending on the Truck. I got a brand new flywheel off Amazon for my Freightliner for $238. Same aftermarket was $500 from a popular Clutch Shop here in Detroit. Same flywheel. I’ve been told to stay away from Alliance clutches. Dealership wouldn’t even honor Labor, if failed. They’re Cheap. New Eaton will be last clutch you’ll ever need. Should go 1 mil easy,

9. Dallison

Dallison Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    cool I went ahead and got it and the kit for the shaft, and 2 piece brake. I appreciate the help

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    One thing about 2 piece brake is it doesn’t have any give in it. Solid action. The regular type has a bit of Clutch give, and should be good enough with a new Clutch. Some install the 2 piece for future ease of changing. It’s a matter of choice. Really shouldn’t need the 2 piece though. More of a work around for a bad clutch brake, without removing the Trans, or for instances that you need a thicker brake, due to a thin flywheel. I think they have 3 different thicknesses. Same results can be had from stacking regular brakes. I’d rather just get a brand new flywheel if needed, and use 1 pc brake. Just like new.

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Be sure to check linkage for play. Motor mounts and cab to chassis mounts also. Bad bushings can make linkage go out of whack, even break it when hitting a big pothole or rough road. Cab/motor/trans mounts need to be good to get linkage adjusted right.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.