Cold weather MPG sadness

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by shatteredsquare, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’m not saying that it is not for hp. or hotter outside temps. This tread is discussing MPG loss in wintertime NOT hp.
    I’m saying it is in the winter with colder outside temps.
    Yes cold air means hp but it also means it leans fuel mixtures so If there is 30 air coming in that leans the mixture the “sensors” tell the ecm to richin fuel which now means engine is using more fuel to do the same work. Might normally only use 1 pint to move a mile now has to use 1 qt. That means lower mpg. With aftercooler it has the advantage of the hotter intake temp in the wintertime to not need to richen the mixture and use more fuel to do the same work.
    Just like a choke on an old carb it leans air but it richens fuel causing the engine to burn more fuel with chock on.
    Aftercoolers also can be better at cold startup with a block heater cause the coolant is already at temp in the intake. Cac still ice cold thats why they installed grid heaters.
    Our after-cooled diesels are getting the same mileage year round while our cac’s drop. If we block the cac with a winterfront they come up. Water temp stays constant either way.

Tibs pete Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    If you make more HP then you are picking up speed so you back off the pedal and burn the same fuel as before to maintain speed. The ecm only adds fuel to correct a lean condition ''if necessary'' but the fuel air remains the same, not richer or leaner. cold air or hot ; FOr example it might bleed off exhaust pressure.at the wastegate. No the boost will not drop because a boost gage is measuring the back pressure.

A choke doesn't work like that, it's a flap on the top of the carb that block off some of the oxygen rich air to maintain a proper air/gas ratio.Does very little to the gas. It just tries to maintain a correct air/fuel mixture.

An aftercooler, cac. ataac. intercooler are just different names for a heat exchanger, I think you mean a water/air cac.

The only way that statement make any sense is if the truck is running really short trip such as mine, oil field or something similar. Creating a high pressure in the front is never a good idea on a highway truck.
    I'd be willing to bet in the summer the air to air is more efficient.

We are not cooling ambient air we are trying to bring the charged air down close to ambient air temp or what the computer commands, not the water.

4. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Do you know how an aftercooler works on an 855 cummins or 3406 cat? I think
    It uses engine water temp to cool the compressed intake air not ambient air like a cac (or i guess air to air) in front of the radiator in the grill. If i am wrong tell me please.
    I am new to this.
    Yes air to air is more effencient in summer but this thread was talking bout MPG loss in the WINTER. So i brought up how air to air is not as effient for MPG IN WINTER.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So put a winter front on and problemo solvo.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Don’t leave home without it......

D68BFA6C-1830-48E4-914E-412F92B33D96.jpeg

7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    image.jpg Sure Don’t. It’s permanant!

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Maybe check your thermostat's they could both be open..
    If your having problems maintaining a constant good engine temperature

9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
  10. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I've been to Roreau with those tem's my engine still maintain's 170 degrees unless there's a lot of humidity in the air where my frontend is covered in ice then my engine starts to get hot..

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We run custom insulated winter fronts, but even at 50 below you do not want to close the whole air to air off, unless you are parked and idling. At least on my truck you will not only lose mpg , but a power loss is noticable too, with it fully closed. A friend closed his powerstroke up and went from around 16 mpg to 6, so you don't want it fully closed on them either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.