Conestoga trailer lighting violations and citations question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WadeH, Feb 26, 2021.

1. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Thanks for clarifying this!
    Do you have an opinion on whether or not it should be noted on the DVR that there are no marker lights at the front of the trailer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Those plastic caps are broken on both sides on most of the trailers we lease. The trailer lease company told me they will not replace them. I have never written them up before. But would you suggest writing them up in the ELD anyway? Both pretrip and post trip?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Actually I have looked at many roll tops and I've never seen even one that is lighted like mine.

You might be thinking of this type of front corner light? IMG_20191118_143338[1].jpg
    Since this light is actually mounted on the corner and can be seen from both the front and the side, it serves as both the front clearance light and the front marker light. But the first picture I posted of my trailer shows a light mounted at the front, on the bulkhead, which can only serve as the front clearance light, but not the front marker light.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You folks should take a read of 393.9 of the FMCSA standards. Only required lighting is required to work.

Bean Jr., PoleCrusher, abyliks and 3 others Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    This is an old wives tale. Only required lights have to work. You can have 50 burned out chicken lights and be fine.
    This is specified in the regs, not just an interpretation from lack of regs.

§393.9 Lamps operable, prohibition of obstructions of lamps and reflectors. (a) All lamps required by this subpart shall be capable of being operated at all times. This paragraph shall not be construed to require that any auxiliary or additional lamp be capable of operating at all times.

PoleCrusher, Bean Jr. and skallagrime Thank this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Hrmmm, upon rereading, seems i was making the incorrect statement, i stand corrected

Previous reply:

Maybe i should have been more careful in my phrasing, i meant to make the distinction you made, but the "supposed to" was intended to be more a "best practices"

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Not sure if this is a new rule or if in the past DOT abused or misunderstood it??

But guys were getting tickets for any lights non operational whether they were required or added lights

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    A lot of truckers had a switch that cut off all chicken lights that they flipped when going thru scales?

10. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    If I remember right, when CSA and PSP came out, they had written into the regulation that all installed lights must be in working order. Drivers were getting dinged for inoperable auxiliary lights, so after a while FMCSA added clarification, that only required lights must be operational. I believe it even specifically states that lights that are not required, even if installed, do not need to be operational to pass inspection.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    393.9 was last updated August 15, 2005. I don't care enough to see what exactly was updated, but it means that exact wording is "at least" that old.

Bean Jr. and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.