Considering a trucking career

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TXDriver79, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Mine said the same. I said, "Me no understand Cringlish."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TXDriver79

TXDriver79 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Oh I already know I'd love OTR; the wife is the only issue... I have to be home nightly for her, no option/no give unfortunately. If not for her I would've started the path of OTR driving years and years ago. I'd pull wind turbine blades cross country or haul jet fuel or whatever the biggest challenge (and pay) I could earn an endorsement for but I'll have to leave that for my next life. I even put a deposit in a CDL school in 2000-2001 but never went to class because of the wife.

I rode multiple times in a '80 Mack logging truck sliding down muddy mountains in AL years ago too and loved it - trucking is literally the only job I've ever "wanted" to do, just couldn't ever get the family onboard. Thanks again.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Union work has any faint hope for a pension. Otherwise you are a disposible company driver rolling a 18 wheeler. Urban areas such as Dallas - Arlington increases your accident risk with a big truck. I tend to be a risk management type thinking if I can see a problem coming.

You will learn that you can be subject to working 1000 hours until you are finished unloading and it's absolutely legal. And the pay is maybe a couple dollars if that. 40 at most. Otherwise you pay a lumper company several hundred dollars against your payroll to be reimbursed the next cycle of pay PROVIDED your papers turned in and signed properly etc.

You will find a variety of work locally. Cement mixer comes to mind by the hour. We are in winter now so it's a slow time.

Your spouse is not that good for you because she has managed to put a ball and chain around you and your employability. Some of the best trucking comes from ranging truly Nationally and the money takes care of itself.

You will want to do whatever you can to endure the CDL costs yourself. It's anywhere from 2500 on up to 6000 depending on the school. Quality varies. You only learn enough to pass the DMV Test Your real education (This test with state should be taken with a MANUAL transmission rig no exceptions. Otherwise you are slapped with a restriction that is really bad to drive Autos only limiting your hireability.

Your first year should you be so lucky to make it that far will be a time of building up your stamina and learning the land and laws etc. Remember, what you make a mistake on such as being overweight at the scales you can be personally liable for the fines. You need to be very careful in everything you do.

Think on everything, sleep on it carefully before committing. Your future, or lack of one depends on the choices you make or don't make. Do not rush it.

You will be considering the expenses on the road, taxes etc. It's thousands of dollars per year to make a payroll of a little bit. Hopefully you are very careful and do not spend all your cash and get broke. Do not borrow money from companies, they are not banks. People have been dismissed for showing financial weaknesses.

Rule number one. A successful trucker has a #### good wife supporting him. Otherwise there is no point.

TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  5. TXDriver79

TXDriver79 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Thank you for the reply! Alot of good info in there and I'll try to respond by paragraph (hopefully it'll work, we'll see).

6. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I filled in and did Local for FFE out of Lancaster. Pulled walmart loads around Dallas area. Check them out

TravR1, x1Heavy and TXDriver79 Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I couldnt imagine doin local city work anywhere in texas, the way ppl drive there id shoot my brains out

okieboy78, x1Heavy and TXDriver79 Thank this.
  8. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    haha the crazier load the better... God bless you in your search.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I see #2 as a red flag here. I was a regional driver, left early, came in late sometimes, and cooked my marriage and by the sounds of it, it will cook yours too. I missed a lot of evening stuff, when she wanted to go out. I was either too tired, or had to get up at midnight. If you want to do trucking, you can't let wifey call the shots. Doesn't work well that way.

10. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Get rid of the wife.
    Follow your dreams

11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Both statements cannot be true.

Once the diesel gets in your blood, you can't get it out. Sooner than you think, you will have to choose between your marriage and trucking. Good Luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.