Contemplating a 2014 Cascadia with a DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by izifaddag, Aug 17, 2018.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Been a while since I checked this thread.
    I bought the truck and the only annoying thing was the MIL light. At Summit they apparently 'baked' the DPF. I can only assume that means they cleaned it.
    70 miles down the road and the light came back on and stayed on. I had no choice I had to go on. It made zero difference to the operation of the truck except a bit of derating. I was able to get back to MS grab my trailer then go to TX to do the title and registration. Another week of insanity.
    Finally I get on the road and start to make some money. I rearranged some finances which only finalized yesterday.
    I ended up taking a reset in N. Little Rock so waited and waited then got the truck looked at in the FL there by the Pilot. It was a NOX sensor. $769 and I had to pay $700 of that as a warranty 'deductible'. Thieves.
    Light went out and the truck continued to run nicely.
    Then the light came back on again and then cycled off. No more problems since.
    I discovered a way to totally defeat the Onguard so that is a non issue.
    The truck is very smooth. It runs great and the fuel economy is phenomenal. It pulls mountains with a heavy load much easier than the Century.
    I like the electric APU and when the TriPak is installed I shall be in great shape for not idling. At the moment I find I have to idle regularly, I have done the regen thing once. It scared the snot out of me but with the help of a TA mechanic all was well. I just needed some education.
    I had a good conversation with the mechanic who replaced the NOX sensor. I have been very worried about this One Box thing because of what I read here and the fact that I knew nothing. He told me that it fills with soot and the engine runs hotter than my Century. This is true. The soot is burned to ashes and the same applies with a regen. He said it isn't an automatic that the box needs to be replaced at 750k or so. It should be cleaned at regular intervals. 300k was what he said and showed me the machine they use to clean them of ash. The cleaning is inexpensive but he agreed that the cost of replacement is diabolical.
    All in all everything is ok. Same guy also had some info on models. He said the 2014 was a good year for Cascadias. The 2013 was troublesome and so was the 2015. He said the 2014 was a solid truck. He said a couple of things to explain why that was.
    He also said that an external oil filtration system is unnecessary because it has adequate already. Rawze says get one so I don't know. I'll wait on that.
    There is more but I am out of time.
    I will add to this in the future.
    Conclusion? I think I have been lucky - so far. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    +1
    change the manifold every 400k miles.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    in 2014 first time plastic oil suction manifolds were installed. The cup comes off and it destroys the engine. 2014 and 2015 engines are under recall. Replace the plastic manifold to latter style(unfortunately again made of plastic).

5. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    I am really trying to understand your photos and comments but I just can't get it. What am I looking at and what is wrong? How can I avoid this problem? Is there an upgrade re the glued thing you mentioned?

6. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Ahh ok I will investigate this. oil suction manifold. I will bring this up with Rawze.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Detroit Techs say change injectors at 700k miles. They get worn, overspray and make this kind of mess. They also recommend overhead adjustment every 250k miles .

izifaddag Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    no. Rawze can not help you in this case. Go to dealer and check you engine serial number. If your engine have more than 400k miles just buy it and change it. You will need also four O-rings for tube and pil pan gasket. The manifold is $150, all O-rings and gasket less then $100 and labor will be 2-3 hours.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.