copilot gps for trucks. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by tallguy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. StraycatNY61

StraycatNY61 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2010
    It works ok, BUT......it is NOT compatible with 64-bit systems. Also, ALK promised all kinds of updates to the latest version, then didn't deliver....seems that they're more interested in the general consumer GPS market, and have all but abandoned the people that made them what they were....the TRUCKING COMMUNITY!!!! In my humble opinion, AVOID ANYTHING MADE BY ALK TECHNOLOGIES!!!!!!!!!:biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joemc

joemc Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been driving a truck for almost5 years , and I used many navigation GPS's including vznavigation and copilot truck .and I have seen many truck drivers wondering whether or not copilot works.
    In my opinion if you decide to spent $149 bucks on copilot I recommend you use that money on the lottery , you have a better chance to win.
    Copilot is not worth a dime , it is not any better than vznavigator . I can make a video where it tells me to turn left on a one way street where the garmin nuvi 465t tells me to turn right and then make a u turn.
    Do yourselves a favor forget about. Opilot at least for the time being

4. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    I agree, I had alot of issues with copilot when I had it. There were times it would tell me to turn into the middle of open cotton fields for no reason (even the mapping didn't show a road where it was saying to turn), and it was bad about getting lost.

If you're wanting a GPS get a stand alone unit.

5. Aztech

Aztech Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Townsend, DE
    Well this is an old thread but since I used CoPilot for 8 months I guess I'll talk about it.

When I first got CoPilot, my first trip with it, it was my second month driving. It was dark and raining hard. I couldn't even read street signs because of the weather. I was doing what copilot told me to do, and it took me right to where I needed to go. But any GPS will do that.

CoPilot has got me into so many situations I couldn't have got myself into of I tried. Like taking a detour (for no reason) down a small dirt road through a wide open field, that happen to have a 14T bridge limit.

It tells me to "turn left then turn left" through the median quite often.

I need to take a ramp to switch roads. The ramp was a quarter mile before the actual intersection of the roads. Instead of taking the ramp, copilot told me to make a right turn onto the road. I would have been driving off the overpass lol. After the intersection, the road became truck restricted. I was lucky I didn't get caught.

And of course making right or left turns where turns are illegal even for cars.

The only way I would use CoPilot again is on my smartphone. And that's only because it's offline file about 1.5GB. I'd only use it if my Google Maps wasn't working or if I don't have data.

I quit using CoPilot a long time ago. Been using my paper road atlas and Google Maps ever since. No major problems. Except an occasional time where I don't have data. That's where CoPilot iPhone app comes in if I need detailed roads that my atlas doesn't show.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i started with the copilot program. was totally happy with it. but having the phone lit up can wear the phone down with heat. ended up having to warranty my phone.

now i have pcmiler hand unit. same software.

while i wouldn't call the most perfect machine. i've been very happy with it. and you can't beat the price. granted it don't have bells and whistles. but it gets me there. and i have no problems following blindly. but sometimes i do check out my routing with truckmiles.com websight. and if i'm in a town. sometimes i have to make it reroute me cuz the street it wants is no good for whatever reason.

as long as the unit works. i have no reason or need to buy anything else.

7. joemc

joemc Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I am not against. Opilot or any other Navigation software ,I wish there was a reliable GPS that wud make life a little easier on truckers. but I am only taking the application price in consideration , I probably still mad because I paid $149 lol you guys know I work hard to make that money. Like lone wolf said it told me to just ahead take exit ( this was Lisa) .there was no exit , just rail road guard and trees . And you have arrived at destination while the destination is 1 mile ahead.
    And like snowwy said I used it on both iPhone and android and It is really wearing the phones down with extreme heat . So let's just be honest about it what is good in copilot? Maps are 6 to 8 years old the so called update did not fix any thing

8. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Hell, I bought it for my laptop when it first came out. I am running a hacked version on my android now more as a time measurement and look at local mapping to compare with QC directions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.