Cost of New Reefer Trailers?
Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by san00, Sep 4, 2022.
Page 4 of 5
-
bzinger, Accidental Trucker, Siinman and 1 other person Thank this.
-
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
-
What would’ve that setup cost you 3 years ago?
-
Probably that same low 70k range. They on started shooting to the moon last year with the freight boom, inflation, and lack of supply.
-
-
5 yrs ago was 139k then went to 142k around the time of 3 yrs ago.
Siinman and HaulinConestoga Thank this. -
My 389 Peterbilt costs over time (same speced)
2018 - $163,000
2021 - $163,500 (bought in December 2020)
2023 - $205,000 (ordered in Nov 2021 received July 2022)
2024 - $245,000 (so I’ve been told for delivery later this year)Siinman and HaulinConestoga Thank this. -
I agree. The return on investment is not there anymore and it’s going to purge a lot of moms and pops and the cycle will restart again.
The question is how much pent up demand is there for new trucks and trailers. The manufacturers and megas all say 2023 will not be any better so one has to plan if they plan to stick around they will have to pay up. It’s the struggle I’m going though with a new reefer trailer. I don’t want to buy at the top of market but it seems like this is the market for a while.bzinger, Midwest Trucker and HaulinConestoga Thank this. -
No way I could or would drop 300 grand to get in this game right now.
I spent the last year shopping for a used van or flatbed and calling on anything that seemed half way reasonable for the age and condition only to hear it was sold.
Finally scored a very nice conestoga at a deal of a price this Spring .
Took a bad fall shortly after which put everything on hold for the last 3 months and left me watching capacity and rates and question if I should finally dive in .
So far I am only all in for $37,000 for my old good condition truck and trailer but between tires all the way around and a lot of minor replacements needing done on the truck I am looking at another $25,000 to head out.
I’ve decided between the 2 months wasted working on my truck that I could make $16,000 driving for someone else and the 25 that I need to spend and another 32 000 earned driving until Spring I am back on my fence .
After running my nuts off for 6 months for someone else and looking at my sanity and the state of the economy I will than finally crap or get off the pot come Spring. -
Just watched a comparison on the news A 500, 000 house , yep thats what they cost these days .HaulinConestoga said: ↑Rate that things are going between inflated costs and higher interest rates coming many independents will have a hard time qualifying for financing.Click to expand...
20 % down so financing 400,000 . The payment has gone up $750 a month due to prime rate increase since 2 years ago.
That disqualifies a lot of people for mortgages.
Feds are chomping at the bit to raise rates another 2.5-3% to try to slow inflation while they endlessly spend and print money.
The middle class is dying.Siinman Thanks this.
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
Page 4 of 5
Related Categories
-
Secure parking in Yakima Washington
TGUNKEL posted Oct 9, 2026 at 10:35 PM -
Hub Group Inc
Olec posted Oct 7, 2026 at 11:29 AM -
12.7l exhaust rocker roller...
KFF posted Oct 5, 2026 at 10:14 AM -
What to do
Fasteddiereich posted Oct 5, 2026 at 9:10 AM -
Is this a reasonable cost per mile?
BosnianTrucker1994 posted Oct 4, 2026 -
WSJ: Truckers Are Using Every...
Tarh331_Dad posted Oct 4, 2026 -
Adding lift axles to spread reefer?
TR1GG3R posted Oct 2, 2026 -
Court rules automakers can...
Tarh331_Dad posted Sep 30, 2026 -
Not exactly “trucking”, but...
Tarh331_Dad posted Sep 29, 2026 -
Greg Abbott declares statewide...
Tarh331_Dad posted Sep 28, 2026
Loading...
Recent Threads
-
Need ya'lls opinions ...
WesternPlains posted Oct 11, 2026 at 3:26 PM -
Some good TV ideas.
Dkenos posted Oct 11, 2026 at 1:57 PM -
Backing experience with small...
Carolina Junkman posted Oct 11, 2026 at 12:30 PM -
In 1931, a farmer left 4,000...
Chinatown posted Oct 11, 2026 at 10:28 AM -
Ride Along Inside Self-Driving Semi
LonelyDriver678 posted Oct 10, 2026 at 9:29 PM -
Truck Driver Gave Homeless...
Chinatown posted Oct 10, 2026 at 2:50 PM -
Any info on UniQuality Inc. in...
Jamie01 posted Oct 10, 2026 at 10:46 AM -
On the verge of being fired,...
Reso23 posted Oct 10, 2026 at 3:41 AM -
Don't be a trucker...if....
lual posted Oct 10, 2026 at 3:06 AM -
When Having It Your Way Goes Wrong
mjd4277 posted Oct 10, 2026 at 1:55 AM
Loading...