Could use some perspective, maybe even some encouragement!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Willocouple, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Lurch,

Maybe you could share some of the things you wish your trainer would have taught you?

P.S. What company did you go with?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I went with May Trucking, and have zero complaints about the company. Excellent equipment, I had good DMs, got along well with my terminal manager, got along with the mechanics, got the miles I wanted, no pay issues, etc.

What I wish the trainer had worked with me on is things like trip planning. I know I'm at least partly at fault for not actively asking, but I think it's important enough that it's a topic he should have stressed.

Other things like the Qualcomm would have been nice, but that's not hard to pick up on your own. Ditto for things like Comchecks.

What it boils down to, though, is when I "finished" training, I didn't even have the beginnings of a routine - everything was still haphazard, so I missed stuff I shouldn't have.

Lest you get the impression he was a flop, no, I don't think so. I just look back from today and think some of his priorities were skewed a bit.

4. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Lurch. They sound like a good solid company.

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I think so - but always remember - I'm biased.

6. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    everywhere
    Willo let us know when you get your truck! And I wish you a very Happy First Load!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.