Dallas TX to Kent WA routing help.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mohtrucker, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Some slow rolling on that route..time wise I wonder if it is better? I’ve done it a couple times in the summer and didn’t like it. Although Moab is a place to see for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Well I got curious and checked both routes. Both show time wise being exactly the same..My first suggestion going up 25 to 90 is 50 miles more.
    So I think that it just comes down to personal preference and weather. Going across 40 to Gallup can get a little hairy if it’s blowing hard.

Either way I think he’s got some pretty good options and needs to watch the weather.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    He has only 15,000 in the box so that would rule out going through Wyoming for me. It's only like 25 miles longer through Wyoming but if you get shutdown there waiting for the wind to die down.....

BennysPennys and ‘Olhand Thank this.
  5. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I definitely didn’t recommend Wyoming…I wouldn’t do that to anyone :)

It’s about 50 miles shorter to just stay on 25 up to 90 and a lot less headache.

6. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    I run Houston to Edmonton,sometimes up 35 to Salina,70 to 470 to 25,then up to Buffalo, 90 to Billings,MT 3 to 15.
    If it's windy in Wyoming avoid it.I was southbound last week,had to drop a pallet in Casper.Then the wind picked up gusting to 70 so I was stuck in Casper 18 hours.I only had 15,000 in the trailer.
    Sometimes I take 83 from Childress all the way to North Platte or even Murdo ND if there's snow or wind west of me.
    Came north last weekend,it was blowing 40 from Cheyenne to Casper but the road was dry,no problems.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The hills you will hit will be easily doable by any flatlander. Going West the hills are easier to pull than if you take the same route East. I would recommend you bypass Salt Lake City by taking I-84 near Echo, UT. You will bypass a pretty steep curvy grade near Parley's Summit. It is absolutely gorgeous but coming down that hill into SLC you have numerous "no jake brake zones" and then have to fight your way through SLC. Just take the I-84 to Ogden route and rejoin I-15 and I-80. Kent WA is a suburb of Seattle and there is precious little truck parking anywhere nearby. I think the crappy and crowded TA I-90 Exit 34 (Ta Seattle East) is the only real parking. I would pay to reserve a parking spot early in the day because it fills up EVERY night. You will climb some largish hills between the TA and Kent. Seattle area drivers are aggressive and numerous. WA DOT and Highway Patrol are like Ohio.

It's a good trip.

Concorde Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

Chains required to be carried Nov 1 to May 1, regardless of weather. It may be a $500-750 ticket. I think WA even reuires one spare chain.

9. tscottme

Stop at the Arrowhead Travel Center I-80 exit 216 ? and get your "I survived Cabbage Hill" t-shirt. Don't speed coming down Cabbage.

10. tscottme

You can rent chains at some truck stops in the area. You buy them, carry them, then give them back.

11. tscottme

There is a 10 mile section West of Ontario, OR where truck speed limit is 55 and it is curvy & hilly. Do 50 mph and you won't have any problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.