Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Upstatetrucker, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Upstatetrucker

Upstatetrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2020
    I'm going to try out the 67W first and see how that does as I don't you a GPS all the time but might be a good option . Thanks for the replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Ok.. what model(s)? Do they have parking mode?

4. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Is anybody familiar with Garmin 57? Does it have park mode?
    My old Garmin 30 used to work in park mode in the big truck but not in my personal vehicle when I turned the ignition off...
    I wonder if Garmin 57 will work when ignition is off on a Kenworth truck.

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    It does.

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    It has to be connected to key off power. They sell a hardwire kit that taps both an ign and bat power lead to make the park mode work. It was about $30 if I recall.

That said, the 67W in my truck is plugged into an outlet that's got battery power (always on), and park mode has worked fine with that. I'm not sure if the Garmin hardwire kit controls it better, since it does have an ign power circuit to sense key on. I bought one of the cord kits for that reason, just haven't dug in and installed it yet.

Rocks Thanks this.
  7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I seen a video on YouTube I think of a guy with a home security system like you see at COSTCO. I think he had 4 or 5 Cameras pointing in every direction and going into a hard drive. Might not be a bad idea and you could do it for under $500.

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    great idea but bad plan....

The reason is home security cameras will not last long term because the mounts and internal circuit hardware was never made to withstand vibration, bumps and bouncing of a moving truck.

Standard hard drives will fail fir the same reason unless you spend 2-3 times as much for a ssd hard drive....

9. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I would suggest a system that is independent of any other electronics in your vehicle, so you can control the data. Also recommend 3 sided ( 4 if available) motion activated ( for truck stop crashes)system. In accidents involving commercial vehicles, fault, only determines how many zero's you're going to put on the check. It is preventability that is going to exonerate you.

10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Do you drive a Kenworth?
    When I drove Freightliners, didn't have to hardwire anything... just plugged the dashcam into the 12v outlet and it worked 24/7.
    If I start driving a Kenworth, I want to buy another dashcam that will work the same way... don't want to mess with wires and connections...

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Diesel Boss makes a DVR kit with multiple cameras for trucks.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.