Day by day adventures of a new solo OTR driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dieselfuelonly, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    he's right.....simply DVIR the truck with bad brakes and don't drive it.

Look, either the truck is safe to drive or it's not......your call, you're the driver.

DoneYourWay and hal380 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Barchetta53

Barchetta53 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Not pretending to know anything about how the industry works, nor how SNI works, but for what it's worth throwing the word "Safety" out there both in message form on both your qualcomm and over the phone should hopefully net some results. Years ago I worked for General Electric in one of their fleet management call centers. At ANYTIME if a driver even used the word "Safety" we were required to authorize any and all repairs related to the drivers complaint. This was dealing with 4 wheelers and not trucks, but safety is safety. If you are involved in an accident after there has been documentation of the issue, and the accident was the direct result of someone ignoring your requests, I would think it would open them up to a huge lawsuit. Then again I'm also not a lawyer, lol.

hal380 Thanks this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Like previous poster have stated..........the word "SAFETY" can move things in the right direction.

You might have been "seeing some smoke" from that problem brake.
    "seeing some smoke" from that brake would force you to shotdown at a truckstop (or real close to a Freightliner dealeship) untill a mechanic has looked at it.
    Sometime a problem has to get a little worse before action is taken.:biggrin_25525:
    Time it right........:biggrin_255:

johnhardin, hal380 and divercal Thank this.
  5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Yep. What they said

6. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Best new driver blog since Blank_Look. Anyone know what happened to him? Anyway, I feel your pain, great to read of another drivers issues.

hal380 Thanks this.
  7. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks ya'll for the suggestions. Hopefully I can get it looked at soon. Today I picked up a load nearby in eastern NC and made it up to New Jersey to deliver it. With today being a Sunday I made great miles and time. Hopefully I can have more days like this. I'm glad we've got that extra hour of daylight in the evening now, too... now I just need the days to get a little longer... I'm not a fan of trying to find places I've never been before in the dark, especially when I can't watch my trailer well in the turns.

Well, the Pilot that my GPS found turned out to be a Loves... so in a few minutes it'll be time to whip out the debit card for a shower... worth it though.

I've been trying to put together a list of items that Schneider doesn't mention you need... here are some of them so far:

*Reflective safety vest - never once was told to get one of these, luckily I managed to pick one up before I went to a place that actually required it and wouldn't let drivers hook up without one.
    *Push broom - some places specifically say they want the trailer swept out or they will refuse to load it. Luckily I haven't ran into this situation, but I was quick to pick one up at a Pilot, not to clean a trailer, but to push all the snow off my truck after I sat through a snowfall the night before
    *Sledgehammer - I keep forgetting to grab mine when I'm at home. Truck stops sell what appears to be a tack hammer that might be useful for killing roaches or driving thumbtacks into a cork board. Not for banging on that stuck pin that's keeping you from sliding your tandems. I've had to improvise and use an adjustable wrench, lol. Also useful for banging on the ratchet mechanism on the crappy old trailer landing gear crank. I split the handle on my tire thumper using it for this purpose yesterday :(.
    *Lots and lots of notepads - trying to cram all the information you need into that little Pumpkin Book and actually be able to read it is impossible. I have a clipboard and plenty of legal pads to write down all the information and all 8 40-digit numbers that Schneider provides you with - finding out which one is the actual number that shipper needs, however, is another story.`

Thats my list for now... I'm sure it'll continue to expand.

Tomorrow I've got to pick up an empty, go to another stop and get loaded, then head back down to VA to get unloaded. I think at that point I'll have to take a 34... soon I want to try the "work 8 hours every day and never run out of hours" thing so I don't have to ever sit around for a 34 in a place I don't want to be stopped at... need to do some more looking into how to actually make this work... I'm guessing it can be tough to actually do though...

MThunter, zaroba, hal380 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, the new pumpkin pad is useless. Just get small notepads from the fuel desks at OC's, they give them out no problem.

hal380 Thanks this.
  9. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    One thing I found I needed was a pair of side cutters. I figured that out after I had to use the claw of my hammer to cut through a cable seal. I beat on that sucker for about 2 mins. Haha.

Get yourself a Loves reward card and fill your truck up. You'll get a free shower!

zaroba Thanks this.
  10. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Finally getting loaded in NJ. Where I dropped last night didn't have any empties, next place it sent me this morning didn't have any either, 3rd place it sent me to a place I couldn't find, had to call in and get some directions, turns out I was stopped right next to the entrance....

Then came the adventure of getting out of there... I ended up getting lost and going down a cloverleaf-style on-ramp at which point I saw a large 13' 2" sign come into view above the far left lane... crap... stopped at the end of the ramp and took a better look around and saw the right lane was marked at 13' 9"... phew. One thing I've learned is that even if you trip plan and make sure your route is safe, its so easy to take a wrong turn and next thing you know you're ended up in an area that your truck may not fit in. Looking at my atlas where I was, this overpass is actually marked as a 13' 2" low clearance. I didn't plan to go through there, but it happens. I try to read each and every sign no matter where I am or what it says. The thing that still scares me the most is I hear that in some cities there are often low-clearance bridges that don't have any signs... don't think I'm ready for those yet.

zaroba, hal380, glenn71 and 6 others Thank this.
  11. GlobalResponder

GlobalResponder Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey there DieselFuelOnly. I am inspired by your hard efforts, even if you're scaring the crap out of me! I'm all set up to leave in a few weeks to Missouri to start my training and you're have some rough love out there it looks like!
    So, if it makes you feel better, I'll be right in the thick of things with you before too long. I may even come to you for advice here shortly!

I'll be starting my own blog once things get under way.

Thanks again buddy, we sure appreciate your frank and honest comments on how things are in the day to day life of a new trucker.

Stay Safe!

Global Responder
    SoCal...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.