DEF performance claims

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Eleanor Weiss, Jan 5, 2022.

1. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Farm equipment uses DEF

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Farm equipment is yes.
    Off road equipment (construction vehicles) is yes, or soon. Not sure the requirement date.
    Trains.. maybe. Smaller high speed passenger teains yes, bigger locomotives no.
    Now here's the kicker. DEF is not required anywhere. What is required is Tier 4 emissions compliance. Semis and other "smaller" diesel engines use DEF as a way to meet Tier 4. Locomotives use other means to achieve Tier 4.

BennysPennys and p608 Thank this.
  4. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I'm not a mechanic. I don't even pretend to be one. I'll pass along our shop manager's thoughts on DEF instead.

Do not run with DEF below 1/2 tank as between 1/2 & 1/4 tank air can get sucked into the system and cause damage.

Like I said, I don't know.

BennysPennys and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s nothing but a propaganda piece.

Modern engines are designed with more fail points intended to increase the speed of obsolescence.

Lpirtle, jsnell and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you can substitute SCR in place of EGR (which is starting to happen), then yes, it totally increases reliability and extends service intervals.

Imagine how much better these modern engines would be if they weren't choking on their own exhaust?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    MACK E-6, jsnell, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Eleanor Weiss

Eleanor Weiss Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2022
    I heard one person say if a driver attempts to run without DEF, the engine will "barely run."

From what has been posted here, that might be caused by sensors responding to the lack of DEF?

Eleanor Weiss

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    No, the railroads are almost totally exempt from ANY emissions requirements until just recently. They, and the regulatory agency that is supposed to over see them, the FRA(Federal Railroad Administration) have a tacit agreement to allow the railroads total freedom in this regard.
    In the event you would like to know how the railroads really feel on this topic:

A Major but Little-Known Supporter of Climate Denial: Freight Railroads

9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It will barely run because the computer is putting it in limp mode. Diesels put out a lot of nitrogen oxide. DEF gets injected to reduce it. As far as the engine itself is concerned, it doesn't give a crap about what's coming out the tail pipe, as long as there's no restrictions. So lack of DEF does nothing at all, as far as the engine cares. This is mandated by the government to reduce emissions, so you get forced into limp mode until the "problem" gets taken care of. As long as the DEF meets the right purity and quality, none of it can improve performance, because it's getting injected into the exhaust.

If you are on the drag strip, and you shoot nitrous into the engine, do you get a performance increase? Yep. Now inject that nitrous into the exhaust pipe. Performance increase? Of course not. But what if you buy a more expensive brand of nitrous and inject it into the exhaust pipe. Performance increase? Of course not.

Now could one brand of DEF allow your sensors and pump to last longer, thereby keeping your uptime higher? Maybe. I don't know the answer to that. If so, I guess you could say it indirectly increased performance by reducing downtime. But if that were the case, then the mega companies would all be running the same DEF, instead of using whatever is at the pump. Why do they use whatever is at the pump? Because DEF is DEF.

MACK E-6, RockinChair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I've said this before. There are parameters you can change with the DDDL software that define what happens when your truck derates. Instead of being limited to 55, 45, then 5 mph you can set it to 99, 98, and 97. There is also an acceleration limit that defaults to .5 kph, which means it will take about 30 seconds to accelerate 10 mph. You can change that to a higher number as well. The DEF light will still be on and the CEL and MIL lights will still be on, but you won't need a tow.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  11. Eleanor Weiss

Eleanor Weiss Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2022
    Fascinating! Thanks to all who replied!

Eleanor Weiss

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.