Diary of a New Tanker Driver - Comcar CTL

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GolfPro, Jan 5, 2016.

1. rbgtag

rbgtag Light Load Member

May 6, 2013
    Glad to hear things are going well and thanks for this thread.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for your posts and glad to hear all is going well. I am also fairly new to the tanker world starting with Trimac about 5 months ago and coming from an unrelated profession. I can identify with your situation but sound like you are on a good path.

4. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Week three of training is in the books. I went to Atlanta for pump training, but we only did one. However, it's similar enough to airing off that it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem I AM having is backing. Since this requires some spatial thinking and visualization, skills that I am very poor at, I will always probably have some trouble with this. I'm just amazed at how skillful the experienced truckers are at this. I saw a guy at one place basically turn his dry van on a 90° dime and then put it in the slot like it was nothing. For me it's oversteer, pull up; understeer, pull up; get the angle totally wrong, try again from the beginning...etc...etc...

Another thing that concerns me is my trepidation in walking the catwalk atop the tanker to check the washout caps. Why didn't they make this thing wider? It's not like I have severe anxiety about it, but there's a healthy concern of walking the thing that I do fear fear a misstep. I do NOT like this part about the job at all. Will it be enough to get me to leave tankers? I have to be honest - maybe.

I'm still not a big fan of putting on the hazmat suit and wrestling with hoses, but I signed up for tanker to do something more than just sit and drive, and to make more money. I'm trying to find ways to make it more interesting and enjoyable, and one thing I'm going to do is re-read my friend's book he wrote, Full Throttle (Dr. Gregg Steinberg) about strategies to make this happen (free plug for Gregg there).

I have one more week of training to go and then they tell me I'm getting my truck and starting over the road. However, we ran into another tanker driver unloading in Atlanta (Mackenzie) and he said OTR sucks (he did it for nine years). My trainers so far are all local guys and they didn't like OTR either. I'll see if it's that bad, but for me, I'm used to being away from home and need to make as much money as I can. One thing that might delay this is I'm coming down with a cold and I don't want to infect my trainer next week, so I might take a couple of days off to recover...and it might delay me going out on my own, which I can accept.

Oh, one other thing I've been forgetting to mention. Wearing contact lenses is no problem at CTL. Schneider forbids them, for some reason, but safety at CTL says they have no idea why they would be banned. I also did some research on the matter and the most up-to-date information is that contacts not only are not a problem, but in most cases help prevent eye injuries from chemicals, fumes, etc. So it seems Schneider's policy is not based on sound science, but maybe they had a fluke case where a driver's contacts actually did create a problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    ethos Thanks this.
  5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Hang in there, the backing will come to you in time.
    Now the fear of the cat walk also will get easier,
    I have no fear of heights I used to fly up 30' ladders in my carpenter days.
    But at first that cat walk was a little scary for me also, I found myself just watching my footing while walking on top of the tank rarely do I look at the ground and I'm very comfortable doing it now.
    Getting up there is a very important part of the job to make sure those caps are hammered tight.
    the money is worth it give it some time

GolfPro and White_Knuckle_Newbie Thank this.
  6. Virdis

Virdis Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2016
    I so enjoy your post. I hope to hear on Monday if a company will accept me to train. I've done my first 6 months OTR dry van. I'm looking forward to the hard work and learning. Do you feel like tankers are harder or easier to back than a dry van?

7. rz14nj

rz14nj Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    tankers are a thousand times easier to back than a dry van. 45' vs 53' and no overhang to worry about.

8. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    I've enjoyed your thread. Good luck with placement and adjustment to OTR. You'll be fine.

GolfPro Thanks this.
  9. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Hang in there with the backing golfpro. I can identify as a fairly new driver. I can tell you it gets easier with time. I recommend going to a truck stop when it is not crowded like in the early afternoon and practice different locations. I have found that the tanker backs somewhat different than a dry van because of the trailer wheels being all the way at the rear. Don't let those experienced guys intimidate you and always get out and look if any doubt. I find myself probably getting out too often but would rather do that if any doubt at all. I have found that when getting into a tight space requiring a 90 degree back that if I step off 8 paces from the rear of the tank to the beginning of the spot I am backing into it works out about right.
    I may be criticized for saying this but there are many times at truck stops I recommend just keeping your CB radio off if you have one. Unfortunately there are on many occasions too many "knuckleheads" making stupid comments. I have found the CB to be aggravating and unbelievable the way some drivers argue/communicate with one another. It could be a good tool but not used properly imo. I have now gotten so I don't even turn it on unless absolutely necessary. Enjoyed following your post but admit I don't check this website that much just because I have been busy with not a lot of spare time. I appreciate the help I have received from other drivers that have much more experience than I do as it is very different from my previous profession as well. I am currently on a regional dedicated route and averaging about 2500 miles a week and home on the weekends which is a nice change from my previous profession that had me gone for months at a time. Might be something to consider before committing to OTR just to get an idea of life living in the truck. Feel free to PM me if I can ever help...

GolfPro Thanks this.
  10. DeadArmadillo

DeadArmadillo Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    As an avid golfer myself, 8.4 GHIN for those that know, I can understand the "hand strength" analogy on the frozen hoses....as golfers we're taught the "baby bird" or "pretend you're holding an egg" in your hand as your grip pressure on the club. 4 out of 10 might be the golf pressure....8-9 out of 10 for frozen hoses. Got it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

GolfPro Thanks this.
  11. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Thanks for the help in backing. I'm learning a couple of tricks here and there from experienced drivers and that's another new one for me, so that's helpful.

As far as home time goes, I'm told I'll be out 10-14 days at a time, and my wife and I talked this over and we agreed to give this a try. My wife is not like many other females (emotional, plays games, speaks in code, etc.), so she'll handle this differently than most women. In fact, I'M the one who tends to be more emotional and sentimental about things. I did strongly consider McElroy flatbed as they guarantee weekend home time (confirmed by one of their truckers I talked to) along with pretty good miles and cpm, but in the end I believe tankers will give me the most earning potential. There are plenty of local jobs out of Savannah due to the port here, so if OTR winds up not being for me, I can probably find something else.

I'm currently home because, well, I'm sick as a dog. I don't know what the protocol in the trucking industry is for being sick, but I'm just not up to going into work the last two days. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow but what I've got is hard to shake. I'm loading up on the Cold-Eze in an effort to shorten it, and it usually works. My training will probably be extended for a week as a result, but also one of my motivations is that I don't want to get my trainer sick.

tnkrdrvr1979 and ethos Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.