Does my truck have a power inverter?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Leosmel, Feb 23, 2018.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I am a professional, so yes. Required about $80 in material and 1 hr of my labor.
    Material:
    4/0 wire (25') $60
    250 amp fuze block $18
    250 amp fuze $6
    Rubber grommets $2
    4 Self tapping sheet metal screws $.85
    Having the clock on my microwave and all my electronics operating as they should, priceless.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    00 seems a bit light for 250A DC rating.

4. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    now you are gonna make me look at my receipt to see what I ordered when I did it last year...
    Gee thanks lol

Streetroddreams and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Correction, 4/0 was used on that. 2/0 was on the stereo amp (500 watt) I did at the same time.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    good ones are not modified sinewave inverters, and no most things don't run well on modified sinewave inverters.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
  8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    What's wrong about it. DC-DC converters are made for laptops, and as long as there's an external power brick the power going into the device is already DC at the correct voltage. The only problem is getting thick enough transmission wires to run higher power devices safely, as lower voltage necessitates higher current.

10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I get what you are saying, but unlike the author in the article who has a lot less experience and less education than I do, I can judge those last two paragraphs as inaccurate.

I have a lot of inverter experience, repairing them for a while. These are just switching power supplies.

A lot of modified sinewave inverters, even those branded with popular names are cheap Chinese junk. They produce harmonics not just into the air but also on the line which can shorten the life of the device. Some drivers notice this when the inverter is on and they turn on the am radio or the cb and hear nothing but static, then turn it off and the radio is quiet.

A lot of people install those cheap ones and hook up a fridge or a coffee maker and think that it is the truck that causes the fridge or the coffee maker to crap out, when it is the inverter. There was an issue with o/o on another forum going through coffee makers, two a month and they had the same type of inverter the the dealer they bought their trucks from installed. I told them to replace the inverter, some did and the problem went away. Those who didn't I told them to unplug the coffee maker when they are done brewing, and they did and never lost another. The element in the coffee maker wasn't going bad but the control unit was and that was becuase it derived its timing for the clock circuits exclusively from the line power frequency and when was seeing dirty power it would burn out.

the same goes for many power supplies for things like gaming units or laptops. These are also switching power supplies and a few of them use the line frequency for the timing of power supply switching circuit to maintain the voltage going out of it.

I could go on but it gets more complicated.

My advice is to get the best our sinewave inverter you can find becuase if it is properly installed it will last longer and be better for your equipment and allow them to last trouble free than a modified sinewave inverter or a cheap one.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  11. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have a xantrax inverter charger. It runs anything I need and it also has the charger so when you get home you can leave the bunk heater running on low and the fridge stocked an not kill the batteries over a couple days. Love it.

d281833 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.