Does your 4 wheel vehicle ever go back to feeling like "normal size" again?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GhentSaintPeters, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Or waiting for your car's radar cruise to kick in and then realizing "you ain't got one."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    There was a time I put many more miles on a motorcycle than I did my pickup. I was totally comfortable on it or pulling heavy haul in Houston traffic. I jumped in my pickup one day and felt like everybody was trying their best to kill me. lol

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Sometimes I forget how to back up in a 4 wheeler, Take wide turns, slow down for big rigs, flash my lights to help them enter a lane.

5. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    This could be WHY I see so many truckers driving full size pick-ups...

6. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    For some reason I don’t notice. Give me a sports car and I’ll get down on it :D

After driving the big truck, all I wanna do is go fast. If that rear ain’t sliding,you ain’t driving

starmac and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Hardest part is not hurting the truck clutch by putting it to the floor like a car. It's one area that my CDL school failed to instruct me about, even though I was not allowed to float there they did not tell me what a clutch brake was, just that they had installed a new one.

And yeah Reverse is the opposite way at first when switching. Not to mention going from 13 to a 10 for a drive test and back to a 13.

Try getting off a train and having to steer again from the left side and deal with other traffic on your road at the same time.

homeskillet and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    It always throws me off for a second when I let off the gas and the Jakes don’t bark and I don’t slow down.

Oh yeah I gotta use my brakes...

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    My wife picked me up at my storage yard the other day after a week on the road. She let me drive home. The entrance to my yard is a tight turn onto a narrow 2 lane road. As we were leaving the yard in our SUV, I pulled to the far left side of the exit just like I do in my truck so I don't drag the trailer wheels over a curb. She just looked at me like WTF are you doing?

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    On a Corolla. There is an engine brake. Makes me feel at home. I always use that brake gear. It is definitely my fun little go cart. Rides beautifully. Toyota brilliance with high performance tires, deflated to 32psi.

Had a guy training me in Oil Field. 26 wheeler. Long tanker trailer. Went to pull into facility. They had all the boulders out there to force you straight on the entrance. I took it wide to make sure the trailer tandems would come through ok. This guy starts yelling at me: "oh no! you need to go between the rocks!" I said: "Ain't you ever driven a truck before?" I'd always take the cab deep against the opposing corner on a tight road. The guy would get all upset. Watching the ditch close to the hood. I swear. He spent too much time driving a short Rocky Mountain Doubles.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Yeah mine feels normal. But, I'm in it everyday since my local for now.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.