DOT at rest areas and truck stops, will they wake you up?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sheck, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I beat a ticket in Pa. by stating the Officer didn’t give Me a chance to catch up. Had a copy of the regs. Judge made a copy. Afterwards Cop says “ But you didn’t even have a log book”!!! True but you didn’t give me a chance, I could have made one up on paper. Lol .Afterwards I re read regs to say, the rule applies to OOS criteria only. Still subject to ticket. What surprised Me is regs say if no log for current day or PREVIOUS DAY, , if all previous days,(6) I guess, you’re allowed to catch up.

rank and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The best one I’ve seen was on a Saturday, heading east on I-80. First rest area, had a sign Truckers Free Coffee!! Pulled in and DOT checked my log book. Never got any coffee either. One of my first trips to Pa. I reluctantly am going to Pittsburgh on Monday. I try to avoid Pa., too many times, been hassled there. They can’t bother you on private property, Ohio and Michigan will wake you up and maybe ticket you for parking on a ramp, rest areas included.

rank, x1Heavy and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I drive through new york and PA and can confirm that I get pulled into one of them per day. Really sucks.. Can usually tell they are open when the pilot in Bath,NY is full at 11am.

rank, stwik, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I have a log book that I use very rarely, at most a couple of times a month (I am local within the air mile). If they find it and find a mistake from a month ago, will I be fined?

rank and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Motor Carrier has to retain it 6 months against audit.

If you are the motor carrier then you get the fine. If you are just a driver, you have been subject to company policy for logs turned in with mistakes, errors and not legal etc. It is understood that the company would have made you correct that log.

I used to turn in pretty pristine logs out of a extra log book using two others as worksheets. It was outrageous. If they really examined the truck's activity with those logs they would find a range of errors, pertaining to average speed. If HHG said this miles to that town, and today's GPS was very precise, then my logs would fail.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    In over 8 years out here I have not had a single problem with DOT.

I'm 'wondering' what you all are doing so differently.

Cookiedeluxe, Numb and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    You are only REQUIRED to give them that last 8 days of logs. So, don't give them any more than that. If you hand them a log book that goes back 8 months, they CAN go through the whole thing and pop you for every error they find. Not saying they will. Just that they can.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    AZ too. Although I didn't get a ticket. He woke me up and gave me my only log book violation.

Course, it turns out there was a NO PARKING sign. Didn't know that with all the other trucks parked there. And naturally I was the last mohican still there when he showed up.

10. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Do you drive for uber?

rank, shogun and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.