DOT let me pass a level 3 inspection even with a logbook violation from the day before!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Feb 3, 2021.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    The total was over 10, just had been done as off duty instead of sb. The tablet though treated it as if the 8 hours had been done as sb and was showing that I had the extra hours to drive.

I had not even intended for those initial two hours to be used as a split, just sort of worked out that way thanks to a back up at the shipper which ended up pausing my 14 hour clock.

I really got to study these new changes some day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If u did a 10 then u were not in violation and the trooper was wrong. U only need to log it sleeper if ur doing a 7 or 8 . A 10 can be logged as off duty or sleeper or a combination

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I once had a level I inspection where the truck passed and got a shiny new sticker but I got a logbook violation, form & manner for not writing the number 24 for the total hours. Like the total could be anything else.

5. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The one they are doing now is writing u up for not putting in shipment information... ur supposed to write down bol number and enter it in log.. Ive must have talked to 20 guys that have gotton written up for that...

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, spring forward or fall back could be 25 or 23 hours.....

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I am finding that with some of these tablets, they are often triggering weird violations at weird times or for no reason. We have Samsung tablets running Big Road, the app runs fine, but the tablets have a massive bug in them related to randomly turning off the bluetooth (on their own) and loosing connection, causing log errors, once we catch them they self correct, but it's a problem. Few weeks back, I brought my iPad in and used it as my ELD for two days, installed the Big Road app, paired it to the truck. Four hours into my day, I noticed a "violation" warning, when I checked, it was showing something from the previous week. We could never figure out the violation, boss even contacted Big Road about it, we took screen shots of the iPad and sent them, nothing. When I switched back to the Samsung two days later, the violation was gone.

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I'd love to have an inspector write me up for that, in a typical 12 hr local day, I haul 10 different containers, with 10 different loads, not enough space to record all that.

Final Drive and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just commenting on what ive seen. Couple guys with my company have been written up for it ... im sure random numbers would work. Anything but leaving it blank

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    We're all human and we all make mistakes. Sometimes the humans on the other side of the law have sympathy for us and will be kind, and sometimes not. Just try to remember we're all just doing our jobs and treat each other with respect and you'll be surprised what you can "get away with" whether it was intentional or not.

D.Tibbitt and Final Drive Thank this.
  11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    That new split sleeper rule where you can take a 2 or 3 hour or more off duty break before taking the 7 or 8 hour sleeper berth part is wonderful! I've found it really gives added flexibility to be able to pause the 14 hour clock like that.
    BUT, the 7 or 8 hour sleep berth status has to be taken, even if it is part of a 10 hour break. The good news is they can be taken simultaneously! So, while I'm taking the 7 hour sleep berth break to complete my last duty cycle, I'm also working on getting in the 10 hour break to completely reset my 14 hour for my next duty cycle. However, as I found out myself, and as non-consequential as it is in reality, not having the 7 or 8 hour sleeper berth status is considered an HOS violation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.