driving w/ tandams all the way back, '53

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Numb, Feb 4, 2012.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    So today I had a perfect example.

Only way to legalize my load was to drive with the tandems all the way to the rear. I was in Iowa, going through Missouri into Oklahoma and all three states allow you to run your tandems that far back.

Ethan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    I agree, but disagree. A company can't perform the maintenance on a trailer unless it's brought back to the yard by a driver. Instead, a lot of companies rely on their drivers to keep up the maintenance on trailers just like they do on their trucks. Unfortunately, a lot of the drivers out there have the "it's not my problem" attitude and leave the issue for the next driver. At my former company, I picked up a trailer with the brakes so far out of adjustment, they weren't even touching the drums when applied; Another one had the tandem pins springs missing...you could move them in, but they wouldn't pop back into place; The best one had 2 flat tires, none of the marker lights worked and the reefer tank was empty.

The bottom line is that companies could quell this wonderful form of laziness and incompetence by punishing the previous driver that pulled the trailer.

DrtyDiesel and corneileous Thank this.
  4. warhoop

warhoop Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Toledo , Or.
    I've hauled lots of scrap paper all over Or. & Wa. with the tandems allllll the way back and been through every scale you can name and not one of them could have cared less as long as I was legal on all groups and on the gross.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. LVRoadDog

LVRoadDog Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Don't know about anyone else but I prefer my tandems as far up as I can legally get them makes cornering easier. I left a shipper once and headed about a mile and a half to the truck stop to scale and forgot to slide tandems after loading because of this shipper requirement of them being all the way back for loading. Believe me when I say I realized on the first right turn that I forgot to move them back forward. Cornering was a b**ch.

6. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    It makes turning crazy lol. Your truck rides better on the highway if your loaded heavy and their all the way back. I'm in flatbed now, we have 48' spread axle flats. No tandem sliding, I love it now haha

Ethan

7. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    I think I can top that. ;) I picked up an MT once that that had a bare rim, no rubber whatsoever! Must have been dark when the previous driver dropped it, huh?

8. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    no tracyq, that was a direct result from a jb hunt driver passing a swift driver then as got back into his lane , the tire went flying off , it was not made for that high speed pass ,so it flew off , so he just drop the trailer off and got anthor trailer lmao

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  9. ChristenburyM

ChristenburyM Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Jupiter, Fl
    Florida does enforce bridge length, it is a $650 fine!

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I prefer to set the axles to where the 40' mark is between the tandems.

11. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    the only time i don't move a tandem , if there all the way back, is one, it's on a junky trailer and it rusted the sliding rail's rusted clear thru the rail's and they loaded heavy with paper roll's those 3 feet round by 6 feet high one's, yes then if i'm close too the yard, i drop it in the yard or make the shop move the tandem's, it not my job too too jack up the trailer and come a long the tandem's forward, most time i get my book out and see what state i'll end up at, and set for that state, but being carefull as i go thru each state , i never have liked or having the tandem's all the way back, more cause for accident that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.