DTB Radio in Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BullDoggin, May 12, 2013.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    De-tunes?? I'm gonna say, like the tech I use, he would tune one properly to where it will do all it is designed to do and not get hot and die a young death. I'm gonna guess he tuned somebody's improperly tuned radio correctly and this comment was the result. He has been around too long and has too good of reputation.

luddybuddy, darthanubis, 12 ga and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    DTB wont remove the modulation limiter, or do worthless "swing" kits. He tuned up my new galaxy 959 to a 4:1 ratio (8 watts deadkey and 32 peak). It sounds like a million bucks with plenty of crystal clear audio. You don't have to be overmodulated and distorted to be loud and clear...

4. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    He'll "detune" a radio if it was previously turned up and, or, had it's limiters clipped and is over modulating. He states that on his web page.

rabbiporkchop and darthanubis Thank this.
  5. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Gotta give a shout out to Dave as well. He tuned, well re-tuned, well some might call it "de-tuned," my cobra 29 this past summer. I didn't realize he had moved to I actually took my radio out of the truck and walked around till I actually found him. I had some issues with the receive side and when I talked to him on the radio he said it sounded pretty over-modulated and distorted, even with the weak signal he was getting. He popped it open and just kinda shook his head. Then he showed me where the shop I had it in previously had dropped some big dabs of solder inside causing a few problems. He cleaned it up, replaced a few components, then tuned it again. Said when I get a chance to stop in with the truck and he'd do a full system check for no charge. Never got the chance to do that but I have no doubt he meant it. Guy was straightforward, answered my questions honestly, didn't BS me or poo-poo anything I said like I was some kid fresh out of kindergarten. Course, that same radio now has developed an odd squealing issue too, but I highly doubt that had anything to do with anything he did.

Anyway, easy way to get to his shop is to take XT 52 off of I81, you want to go 11 South. At the first light past the exit ramp from I81S (it's like 40 yards or so past the ramp light) turn left on the road between the hotel and the gas station. There will be truck parking in the back of the hotel. His shop is actually in the back of the gas station. Course, if you are bobtail you should be able to park right behind the gas station.

darthanubis and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  6. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010
    While I definitely appreciate the kind words and support, I am not actually a Magnum warranty service provider.

rabbiporkchop and darthanubis Thank this.
  7. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010

Not quite accurate. The page the poster refers to is located at www.dtbradio.com/mailin.html, and states

"ALL radios sent in for repair and found to have disabled or mis-adjusted AMC/ALC circuits, or improper modification of AM regulator circuits, will have the improper modifications removed. If you have a "clipped" radio , and want it to stay clipped, send it to someone else!! We do NOT allow ANY radio to leave our shop in an improperly-modified condition. This policy is NOT negotiable.
    Click here for more specific information on this policy. This does not apply to 10-meter conversions, clarifier mods, or channel modifications."

This does NOT mean that radios are detuned. In fact, I am a BIG fan of boosting output. I am all about performance, but clean, solid, on-channel performance. The kind of mods I remove (such as clipped limiters - visit www.dtbradio.com/amc.html for a bit of in-depth explanation of what the so-called limiter actually does) cause distortion and/or excess bleedover on other channels (wasted power).

darthanubis and BUZZSAW Thank this.
  8. Pariente

Pariente Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Southern DE
    Looking forward to visit you and discuss my options. I go to Carlisle every Tuesday, unfortunately must of the time I leave a little too early :(

9. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Never hurts to give me a shout on channel 2, I often come in early.

10. Pariente

Pariente Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Southern DE
    I'll give it a try even tho it's gonna be between 8-9am.

11. HillJack

HillJack Light Load Member

May 22, 2013
    Leitchfield, Ky
    Well... I have done a lot of research and I think dtb has the best bang for my buck... plus the whole do it right thing... I like that. Expect an order in a couple weeks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.