Dumping questions (give me tips) I didn't get much training.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Great advice has been given here.

I will tell you this. Always always always make sure your tail gate is open before you raise the bed.

Many many years ago I was driving big 10 wheel dump truck. Every load that I brought I would back up close to the edge and the guy that was on the site there every load he came over and talked to me and he would open the tailgate. This was a long time ago with a mechanical tailgate that opens from the outside.

This went on maybe for a couple of days that every time I came with that load he would come over and talk to me for at least a few minutes and .open the tailgate.

Well I back up close to the edge and he comes over and talks to me and for whatever reason he did not open the tailgate.

He turns around and walks away and I raise the bed up with 17 tons on it. All of the sudden the front end comes up in the air. I thought that was it I thought the whole truck was going to flip over.

Right away I put the bed down and the whole truck just came crashing down. I can't tell you how high the front end went, but it had to be at least three or four feet. I really thought it would have damaged the front end or something but the truck was fine.

Scared the effing crap out of me. Never ever ever ever again did I forget that. The guy had me conditioned that he opened the gate, but it's still my fault.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Depends on location. 27 to 30 ton?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd have to look up the weight regs for the exact numbers but around here I think that setup should have a gross weight around 129k lbs. Upgrade to a tridrive and it'd be around 140k lbs gross.

Again that's a rough guess and would need to be verified for accuracy.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  5. gym23

gym23 Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2021
    Might be a stupid question but is the pay still as good compared to when you was pulling dry vans?

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Maybe but probably not. How's that for an answer?;)
    If you're getting paid hourly and your employer pays overtime you can do alright. If you're working tonnage or set rate per load you won't make as much.
    We paid our end dump drivers by the hour.
    One good thing about dump work is that you're usually running local and you won't have all the road expenses like an OTR driver. Sleeping in your own bed every night is another plus.

gym23 and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I am getting 24 an hour now and 26/H after 3 months. Make about $1200 a week. Not as much as OTR, but better to be home everyday.

gym23 Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I will say local dump rates haven’t kept up with dry van rates………

SL3406 and gym23 Thank this.
  9. Caceres1949

Caceres1949 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018

10. Caceres1949

Caceres1949 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    With a straight truck you really have no worries. Just use common sense. If you’re not comfortable dumping, go with your gut. With a trailer I watch how the truck responds as I back up. Does one side dip down? You’re going to see that dip again, but this time the box is raised and has weight. Watch your mirror. Position yourself so the side of the trailer is just visible to the right side of the mirror. As you raise the box are you seeing more of the trailer? If so, it leaning to the left, if you’re seeing it disappear to the right of the mirror, it’s leaning to the right. Depending on how much movement you’re seeing, you may want to reposition your truck. But, I’m referring to a tractor trailer, where you have to be much more cautious. Again, with a straight truck your only concern is the ground. Is it muddy and soft, if in a public landfill there’s a lot of trash making the ground spongy. If you’re just not sure of yourself; don’t let your pride get in the way of seeking advice.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Been a while since i operated Tip Trucks however you'd need to be on some very unstable ground to tip a truck as your stationary when tipping, a slight angle would not be a risk however yes if the area your truck is standing on was more than 20 degrees this could possibly make the truck unstable, not sure why anyone would want you to tip on unstable ground though? If it is a little unstable don't raise the tip right up just raise the tray a little and allow some of the load to exit before raising it higher. Or if you really think it is going to be a risk then don't tip and wait for a more stable area to tip be made available, ultimately your responsible for the unloading in this case so if you think its risky then don't do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.