Eaton ES 16.5" brake tips

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bowtieboy77, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    I am a municipal tech and we have about 6 IH workstars running eaton es style brake shoes mounted on Rockwell drives and steer axles (meritor also makes a brake shoe that works on eaton es platform). My question refers to the 16.5" x 6" that is used on the steer axles. This design uses a heavy return spring on each shoe that hooks to the pin in the roller end of the shoe and hooks to what is referred to as the horse collar ring that is located between the s-cam tube and the s-cam. My question is has any one out there developed a trick to easily install both springs. I usually end up using small pry bars and screwdrivers but it is anything but efficient. I have searched online for any tools available but all I find is the tool used to install the anchor springs which we have. I know of the chain trick used on meritor Q and Qplus shoes to attach the main return spring and wonder if the same idea would work for this style. If it does you would have to do it twice once to hook the upper shoe spring then again to hook the lower. Have not tried it yet as I just actually learned the chain trick a couple months ago. Below is a image of the hardware kit used on this brake set up. Any tips is appreciated.

Attached Files:

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Sounds like you are trying to install the springs after setting the rollers in place?? If so install the rollers AFTER you install the springs, that way you are not trying to stretch the springs as far. You can carefully pry each shoe out enough to set the roller in place between the shoe and S-Cam. Different spring setup but same function.

Attached Files:

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    OLDSKOOLERnRV is right. BUT don't let the shoe slip off the pry bar when putting the roller in place.

5. BFIBob

BFIBob Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2024
    Fast forward to 2024..... came across this stupid design for the first
    in 40 yrs as a mechanic-
    So. with the rollers not installed, it still isextreemly dificult to remove and install.
    Am I to assume that the best way to replace cursed shoes is to remove the wheel hub?

6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    What? It ain't hard

I've put thousand of shoes on. Pry bar or long flat tipped screwdriver, and maybe a pair of pliers.

They probably ain't made a tool cause you don't need it.

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Goodysnap and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    If you have a tuning fork, slip it up on the shoe here and pry the bottom shoe down and install the roller… just make sure you do the top shoe first…

IMG_0500.jpeg

8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I’ll be putting shoes on tomorrow, if you like I’ll add some detailed pictures. You can use a large crescent wrench as well, I have a 24” that makes it easy with the long handle…

Diesel Dave and kylefitzy Thank this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I’m only 46.

How is it possible that a 40 year veteran mechanic has never put on a set of Eaton brake shoes.

I smell troll…..

10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I would greatly appreciate that.

Diesel Dave and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  11. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

My KW and my flatbed both have Q+ shoes, I have 1 1/8” bolt with a square nut rusted on it that has proven handy for installing the drive in spring pins. Don’t always need need fancy and high priced….

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.