Electrical Fault with a 2009 International Prostar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by rosatransportation2014, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, that is in the Cummins engine harness near the ECM. If you have your powers and grounds and ignition, and still won't start or communicate, then it is time to try a test ECM.

Prostar2010 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prostar2010

Prostar2010 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Illinois
    Good afternoon
    This is what I got when they checked codes. They cleared them and when I put ignition switch on they came back. So should I go with new ECM.
    I am sorry HeavyD for bothering you with so many posts and questions.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would try a test ecm first, if you can.

Prostar2010 Thanks this.
  5. Prostar2010

Jun 7, 2018
    Illinois
    All dealers I called they want me to tow truck to check ECM , I asked them if I can bring only ECM but they answered NO. I called International, Peterbilt and Cummins. It is far away to tow my truck just to check ECM . I know Cummins can check my ECM without truck but they do not wanna do it

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, I'm with them. They cannot open it up, like I said, because that hurts your chances at getting a full core refund, or they possibly get stuck with that. It's better to have the truck there so they have the whole picture. Taking just the ecm makes no sense to me either. I understand wanting to avoid a towing bill, but your mentality is making no sense either because you are willing at this point to throw a $4000 ecm at it without really knowing for sure it needs one. Look, this is how I work. I am a dealership guy and I don't mess around with doing half ### repairs. There is a reason I am good at what I do is because I do things a certain way. I understand not everyone wants or likes to take their truck in, but that is how I do my job. I am not into parking lot or driveway repairs with rudimentary tooling or equipment. I am trying to point you in the right direction.

QUALITYTRUCK and Prostar2010 Thank this.
  7. Prostar2010

Jun 7, 2018
    Illinois
    I fully understand your side but reading all these post as you can see in most cases shops are going too far with just replacing parts even not knowing what they do. I have some experience with that too . As you can see some drivers mentioned charges topping 26 k $ , many of them 5- 7 k $ and still having same issues. I really do not mind paying shops to do their job but because of my experience and many drivers have, going to most , I say most shops , for problems like this is adventure for us that costs so much. I wish we have more mechanics like you. Maybe you do not believe us what we ,drivers, go thru when we need help.
    I really appreciate you help and I will keep posting updates for this issue till it gets resolved.

8. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I can see from the screen shot that you posted that you are using Jpro. I can tell by pic that the ECM is not communicating. Where are you located? I have test ECM's for all trucks, including yours that I would let you borrow.

9. Prostar2010

Jun 7, 2018
    Illinois
    My truck is in Memphis TN , but today I am in St.Louis.

10. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  11. Prostar2010

Jun 7, 2018
    Illinois
    Hello everyone
    As I said I was going to make updates on issues on my truck and sharing what is going on finally today I started my truck after 8 days of researching and being helped by HeavyD and others who shared their experience with similar issues. My problem was in ECM . I took it to Tilden ,IL and small company SIA electronics was able to check it and find out it was fried. I order ECM and they reprogram it for me , I drove back to Memphis,TN plugged in and engine fires up.
    Thanks to all trying to help me and I will be here If I can help anyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.