Ever blow by a Weigh Station when it was open?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Vito, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Couple of months ago, crossing into West Memphis, got red lighted on prepass, scales open. Went in , some didn't, they didn't realize that DOT was on highway in front of scales pulling drivers that ignored the open sign. That was the only time I have seen that .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I'm usually good but I just had a recovery job (getting a repaired truck out of Dener back to the East Coast.) and I did a lot of roads I was unfamiliar with, didn't bring a map, just relied on GPS since I only had so much room in my bag.

I'm not sure I was in Nebraska Kansas or Missouri, but I'd just pulled out to pass a slow car (still legal speed) and suddenly there's a 1 mile warning. Can't get back over no flashing lights or signs. So I just stayed left and I couldn't tell if the scale was open or closed until I passed it. (And it looked like it was opens.)

4. lovespink

lovespink Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Southern Ca
    :oops: Well.... I have back when I first started driving. The one on the 91 freeway going west. I started work really early and they 99% of the time back then were never open around 4am. So on the few occasions that they were open or I was running late I accidentally passed. Nothing ever happened. My company did call me one day I passed and told me I don’t have permission to drive the 91 east or west anymore and that I had to take the long way.;)

When I worked the ports.. I would pass the DOT inspections where they wave you in on the side of the road often. I didn’t realize that them waving meant to come on over. Instead I’d just wave and smile back and keep going. They never came after me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Reason for edit: Adding some
  5. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Hauling HazMat get the green on the PrePass box scales open never go in......never been chased down.......:confused:...!?

lovespink Thanks this.
  6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Yeah, upstate NY they set up temporary inspections in rest areas. If the lights are flashing you have to pull in. Usually there's 1-3 trucks having a bad day and another 3-4 officers milling about. I roll through slowly but if nobody acknowledges me? I'm not volunteering for a level one!

LoneCowboy and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  7. lovespink

Oct 14, 2015
    Southern Ca
    lol... at least you tried to pull over. I honestly didn’t do it on purpose. Back then I didn’t know the rules. :cool:

8. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Some places in NY don't even have the lights. Just those little signs that say "truck inspection ahead" followed by "all trucks must exit". Sometimes I can barely read the signs and I have 20/20 vision.

lovespink Thanks this.
  9. lovespink

Oct 14, 2015
    Southern Ca
    Don’t you just love how they like to mess with us?

10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Buh bye!

lovespink Thanks this.
  11. vinsanity0

vinsanity0 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I think it was in VA. They had set up an inspection in a rest area. I had just gotten on the freeway from the left. There was no way to get over two lanes. Nobody chased me.

Once in OK I was coming up to a co-op and my prepass didn't light up. As I was slowing down to pull in I got a truck ok to bypass sign, so I kept going. A little ways later a state cop passes me know when slows next to the guy in front of me. Then he slows even more to get beside me. Then he takes off and gets off the next exit. Then gets back on and pulls me over. Asks me why I blew oast the coop. I tell him. He asks to see my prepass and bills. Takes this to his car .comes back in a minute, hands me my stuff and says have a nice day. He didn't seem happy he couldn't give me a ticket

KB3MMX and lovespink Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.