Failed DOT physical. Can I try a new doctor

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by foofy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok. Now we are getting somewhere.

You are allowed to have medicine in history for severe pain such as hydrocodone etc. As prescribed temporarily by a physician who is treated you for a related situation such as a tooth extraction etc. You just need to wait 7 times the half life decay of the last dose taken before you touch a 18 wheeler again to be sure of having it out of your system.

Pain medicine absolutely interact with Xanax and will put you out really easily. That is two thirds of what they call a houston ####tail in the drug world. The third part is Soma which is generally no longer prescribed by anyone. It's too strong and abused.

If you did take say Hydrocodone for sleeping at 10 PM, the half life is around 2 hours times 7 meaning you will have to wait until about Noon the next day before you are allowed to touch a 18 wheeler to go to work federally within the DOT rules for pain medicine. That is actually the weakest narcotic. If you are on Dilaudid or Oxycodone etc your wait will be much much longer. Several days before you can drive after a night of sleeping on pain medicine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    Answer the mental health medication the doctor prescribed him some but it hasn't even got to prove so I'm not even taking medication through mental health psychiatrist. Only see my primary care doctor which who has Cleared me plenty of times had my license since 1984 I never had an accident.

4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No one is doing anything to make anyone feel badly at all. It is a legitimate medicine and DOT changes the regulations regarding it's use specifically as of Jan 1 2018. I would be the first to fight for those who are handicapped or otherwise apparent distress unable to complete say a normal chore with the speed of someone who is well.

I have been a pain patient for over a decade and it has impacted my CDL massively which is why I am working on a little bit of educating so you do not get popped for possession of Pills in a 18 wheeler without it's original bottle, original label and the prescription by the doctor who is temporarily treating you for a ow that should go away. Nothing chronic.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is good to bypass the mental health dept of say the VA hospital. We go through our normal doctor this way cutting the VA completely out with MH stuff.. They are not friends in that VA and could at any time turn into a real problem which we do not need.

Things have gotten challenging over the last couple of years with the perceived war on drugs, war on suicide and so on. People have chosen to use solutions that are rather permanent as they have done for centuries when life itself becomes too hard to tolerate or endure. It is absolutely a valid solution in many cases. However that only means whatever the problem has been, it's been either neglected, untreated or what have you. Using myself as a example I broke a major bone back in second week of march. It did quite some damage all year since then. But will finally be fixed in a few days.

The whole process of finding out a problem and then deciding how to fix that problem takes enormous amounts of time with so many people requiring the time of so few professionals. I would say that our entire medical situation as it stands in our Nation is failing badly.

6. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    I definitely understand everything that you're saying I get this. Xanax I want to take if my anxiety is very high which driving relaxes me actually and my other medication which is Roxicodone I take for pain and normally I take at night I understand half-life of medication one is out of your system. Like they told me to have my doctors put down that I will not take any medication 13 hours prior to driving. I was actually looking for a part-time position driving. Not a full-time position just a fill in driver. Now I feel that I should go over head with someone else to Clear me. And I will definitely get my point across I appreciate everything you have said. But we as drivers that's where we make our money and are responsible with our jobs. And me as a person would never put anybody at risk so I feel that I should not be prejudged because of my medication and especially if I'm not going to take it 13 hours prior to driving and only working four hours a day

7. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    I could be given medical marijuana instead. But I can do medical marijuana because it makes me paranoid. So I felt that I was comfortable on a medication that I've been taken for many years. And then on top of it I'm doing Advocacy for Dutchess County. I work with many clients and my judgment is far from foggy, and very alert with what I do with everything. People are relying on me and I am relying on me. I just feel that I need to take it over this woman's head. I strongly feel that she was biased towards me, this is the first time that I ever got denied of medical use for medications. I understand that in January 2018 a lot has changed. I understand, I get this if they to urine test me periodically. I'm more than welcome to do so. I just want to be able to drive and not be judged because of my medication. I know you understand what I'm saying because your input was very valid and I understand that but right now I'm kind of hurt and very frustrated over here because of what happened. I work very hard throughout my life I've been thrown under the bus literally plenty of times I'm not having it done no more to me I need to make money I need to work just like anybody else I don't have to rely on the system when I'm capable of working. I love driving.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY

9. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    That's probably who I had a nurse practitioner or someone because like you said they put their own opinions into it which really shouldn't especially when you got a good driving record and you never had an accident and you are capable of doing your position great without an issue even on medications but as I promised land as my doctor wrote out that I would not take medications 13 hours prior to working and again this is only a part-time position it's not a full-time position if it was full-time then I would have my doctor my primary care physician we fix my medication to it be less that I would take daily and not taking it as I was driving

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Then we are into Morale and so forth.

All I can tell you to motivate and boost your feelings and spirit for today is this. Anyone who denies something you find valuable can be in a position to hurt you. However out of humor I offer this thought.

Forget that little doctor, it's water under the bridge. Here is my position in GENERAL on hurting people. You have to know them proper before you can really hurt their feelings with a minimum of wasted words or actions. You follow me on this? I don't make a habit of it. Because for the most part I don't keep anyone that horrible around. Once in a while I AM the one who is the meanie and it's not good due to a variety of good reasons, best kept away from Socity on those days. I'll stay under a rock.

Now that you hopefully feel better and have had a chance to get over and put away (Forget) this Doctor who denied you maybe your afternoon and evening will be more promising to be very good compared to where you might have been recently since that botched appointment with doc. Doctors and generally people do not get to decide if you will have a bad day or not. If you don't see victory today, tomorrow is another day to fight. But first food, rest and entertainment with those who you value and love in this life before anything.

Good luck.

11. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    You will not be issued any kind of CDL if you are prescribed pain meds , opiods etc. It is forbidden period. As a matter of fact several years ago a school bus driver not far from here was convicted of manslaughter for beIng under the influence of opiods while driving a bus loaded with kids. The driver pulled out in front of a car and one of the children was killed and some others were injured.
    They are not going to take chance on someone regularly prescribed these meds. Its one thing to have a prescription filled by a dentist etc. for one bottle with no refills. It's another to have to take it regularly. Your going to have to look for alternatives.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.