Failed DOT physical. Can I try a new doctor

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by foofy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Generally taking pain medicine regularly means you are generally too sick to hold a DOT card. For me in my case it's system wide arthritis. Without getting into too much detail it has already eaten through at least one joint and working on two others. That joint is going to be replaced in a few days time. Im on pain meds 24/7 because I have to be. Not by choice. And even then just enough to function well. Not so much as to lay around in a haze or high etc.

I could probably fool a concentra doc in getting me a DOT card. but I am only hurting myself more considering what a big rig requires of me going down the road the way I run.

I support the idea that narcotics and big rigs does not mix at all. I don't even want myself on the road with 40 ton with the medicines. That trailer starts to come around, it's already almost unrecoverable by the time I detect it on some days and I happen to be very very good at recovering big rigs that has tried to get away from me. And that is without a speck of pain anything in me.

About a week each month I don't take anything. I rely on being sober, not under influence of anything and can actually think things through as well as do some driving etc. And get things done no matter how much it hurts. But when all of that is out of the way it's time to get back into it. This month has been a very difficult one. My general medicine is 90 pills, Im going to be at 240 in 30 days with a open contract and no restrictions on medicine for myself. Ive already has had some big shot IV break through medicine twice in the last 6 weeks at the ER which did a good job along with testing for infection and so on. The State's Monitoring Board is VERY interested in me this month. They demand evidence of actual bone break (Done) they demand of my pain doctor further support (Done) and they demand of the ER doc why he gave me big pain IV shots. (Done, via telementry evidence BP and Heart tachy on pain levels that are acute and excessive. Verified by other involuntary recorded body responses such as tears and seizures etc. (Seizure is a bad diagnosis and fortunately not one branded into me, it's specifically due to acute pain) all of that supports the doc's case vs the State who does have the power to prosecute me any time.

I am not worried or stressed about all that. I am very secure in my position as a legit medical patient and usually fight for what I think is best each day.

Anyone who is dependant or illegally using narcotics has to understand that too will be stopped. The State has gotten VERY GOOD at uncovering illegal diversion, sales, etc.

To have all that and be involved in trucking? It's not going to happen if I have anything to say about it. Im sorry. Even the most strongest driver with 40 years experience on pills for pain will not be allowed to touch a semi if I have something to say about it because our Laws have evolved to protect the public. Not about any one particular ability to function with them or not.

What I do worry about is this. At some point in the future the State may decide not to sell any Narcotic outside of a hospital setting at all. Period. End. Dot. IF that day was to come to pass, ive already got Swiss arrangements pre-completed and we will go from there. I don't intend to live to be 90 hurting myself for the sake of trying to prevent some illegal idiot from acquiring pills for pleasure.

I also have enough compassion to consider this. If someone is dependant on it, there has to be resources to detox that person in a safe manner. The last detox I went took 5 days flat, cost 8000 dollars and saved my life essentially getting the BP and heart back under control. Otherwise I would have broken my 30+ years of soberity and gone back to the bottle. Which is itself not the solution either.

And the best part?

Im one of those people who NEED that ouch. That ow. That hurt to get motivated. Some may not comprehend. But the harder you hit me, the easier it is to get going and get moving. It's like a fuel to my body.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I am just one of those that cannot take pain meds.for more than a day or so..they make me feel stoned amd lazy after a few days. I dont see how anyone could take opiods long term. Had a prescription for xanax once and it did nothing for me. Drivi g a truck most of the time by the time.I get stopped it's time.to.go to bed in am hour.or so then get up amd do it all over again thr nexy day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There has been a couple of medicines that were quite something. I can understand from two Ive been given how people can get high or stoned when the proper pain is taken away. It's literally not given long enough to get addicted.

One in particular called Oxycontin back in the 90's big fat 30 mg's huge pills. I took a hit across my ribs when a pipe came across hard and breathing was not enjoyable. Doc handed me 3 days worth of that stuff. Something like two pills every 4 hours.

Let me tell you that those three days don't exist. It was literally TOO good for me. I had a help mate with me during that week who documented that time and I was told I was not much good for anything. Not even putting on shoes. But I was able to get all sorts of breathing done eh? Crazy.

Xanax and I have a history. I was provided it for 3 months until I realized that it will never stop. Dose gets bigger turns into bars and then you cannot be without more than 8 hours. Wife started getting on my case as if I was literally a shadow of myself not eating anything. I did not care about timber work I did not care about anything.

So I stopped cold turkey. I think it will take a thousand nights out to dinner to repay that first month to the wife who bore the suffering with grace.

I cannot imagine what that stuff would do to me with pain medicine. I did not imagine a life of this either. Haul the stuff? No problem. Now take the stuff? ugh. There are like hundreds of people who go sit in the waiting room saying Doc give me this, doc give me that doc doc doc. And they fade out sitting right there. That's not living. Not at all. It's a form of cheating life itself. Follow me?

smokey12 and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Glad you got off the stuff, it's not easy. I got hooked on Ambien years ago when I worked 3rd shift. I could no longer sleep during the day and got to where I couldn't sleep without it. Problem is when you take it you sleep so hard that when you don't take it you can't sleep. It's like you have built up such a stockpile of sleep you no longer need to sleep for days. I had to wean myself off of it by talking over the counter sleep aids. It took me about 6 months to get off that stuff and I will never take it again..its been over 5 years now.
    I just don't take any of that kind of prescription meds anymore unless I have to have it, dentist, surgery etc. My experience with Ambien was enough to keep me away from that kind of thing. These drugs are the demise of this country, every other commercial on TV now is some kind of drug..half of meillinials now are on some kind of anxiety drugs, no coping mechanisms are being learned by the next generation..The pharmaceutical companies have such a strong lobby in DC.. we need to wake up fast

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The Millenials were helicoptered Mom'ed to death, prevented from enjoying life to the fullest at the playground, prevented from fighting naturally, prevented from working out awkward social situations from their own screw up.s Buried in tech I can only dream of as dick tracy stuff as a boy. Imagine the cheating we would have gotten into with that stuff.Maybe a couple of pills for this or that but outrageous onto pill it all. Pills for pills. I was a Ritalin kid (Spelling) and I required food now and then. That was about the worst of it. Food we had plenty of back then. None of that scraping and scratching to be sure that can will last out the week.

In short if I had a millenial Boy or Girl I will have to break them in proper and raise them totally against what our Society deems acceptable. God forbid I have to spank them if they really did stuff against me or someone else. (That's why God provided children a larger issue ### so you can get some lessons branded properly.) At some point that's no good when boy or girl gets big enough to deck you or jail you. You have about that long to teach them right.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  7. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    In reference to what I went thru. Can I go to another doctor to do my D.O.T. Physical?? Like I felt this was her opinion, and took it to the next level. I've been driving and have my CDL since 1984. For her to take it from me. I work very hard for what I do in this world.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.