Fatal Rollover On Cajon Pass

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Nov 9, 2018.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Generally I would consider Grapevine being more nerve wracking than Cajon Pass due to the sheer drop on either side. Things can get get even more interesting on either downgrade when the Santa Ana winds are blowing something fierce. But that’s just me.

Last time I was back out there was December of last year when they were fighting that wildfire and sure enough, the Santa Ana winds were blowing.
    It was even more exciting when my company flew me out of Ontario International Airport during those winds the next day-nothing like getting blown around on a American Eagle regional jet immediately after takeoff!

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Nope.
    Neither one is that bad , correct gear and jakes and ya hardly need to touch your breaks.
    Went down the vine the other day those jackwads were two and three deep out of the truck lane flying down it. SMH.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    stwik and bzinger Thank this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    That's part of the problem since its been locked up nobody's worried about stopping for the coop, lol.

stwik and bzinger Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't understand the stress over the grapevine. It's up, over and down and done. What's the big deal?

I don't run it much but I do remember it well. The one thing I never liked on that plateau is the Santa Anna winds which could and will compress between hills and then roar like a river across the I-5 potentially knocking you over.

6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m inexperienced and I run cajon, grapevine, Vail Pass and Cabbage all the time. I don’t want people to misconstrue when I call it a game. The game is to roll over the top and never *need* to use the brakes.

I also see people literally flying down with brakes smoking. I don’t get it. I read here one time “you can go down a hill too slow a million times, but only too fast once”. I say it out loud every single time I go down something like that.

RIP driver.

Lepton1, Snailexpress, x1Heavy and 5 others Thank this.
  7. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    There's a reason they call that handle in the cab the "sub hauler brake handle"

8. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Through there alot wonder how times that driver and I shared that stretch of road over the years. R.I.P. brother.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So sad to hear when a driver dies, even if it was possibly due to his own stupidity or ignorance. RIP Driver.

krupa530 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  10. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Agreed.

Interestingly when I went through the Valencia weigh station on north bound 5 there was two aggregate haulers getting inspected.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I appreciate you writing so well with good values that I also share in the mountain, you can run anything in the USA without touching your brakes once.

I myself used to be a brake smoker downhill, that is because for lack of a better word I abused my truck with excessive speed. Then I need the brakes and a whole lot of it half way downgrade. Next thing I see is smoke rolling from my own wheels while other truckers jeer and trash talk me on the Radio for my own stupidity.

I'll run any grade any time in a loaded truck with Jacobs. And you can be sure I enjoy all of it all the way down.

Peace be onto your home and family. I hope things turn out well in the future.

Buc and otterinthewater Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.