final paycheck withheld...........read on

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by cadillacdude1975, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    either way it appears it is going to be a headache. i jsut wish the federal government would do something about the loophole that allows people to be used in this manner. granted i did it to myself by going there, that is not in dispute, but my god i never thought it would be such a headache.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Looks like they got ya.
    Take your licks and learn from it.
    If they'll screw the government they'll screw a Driver.

4. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I know theres no problem contacting the IRS but why would I call them if I may owe money. I'm going to make the person who's cheated pay so I can pay too? It'd be easier just to punch each other in the face.
    I had a 1099 worker oncew 20 years ago it was all good while he was getting money then when a problem came up it changed.
    I would never do contract labor again without a really good simple to read aggreement. I would probably video the process too.
    There was a car lot in Bham that use to film the contract deals, I think they had one to many amnesia cases.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Most did not owe money. The taxes were covered by additional withholding to the employer who misclassified them.

6. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Key part of your statement. "Most did not owe money" Why would anyone take the chance of oweing money? Thats like volunteering to be the first one to do something.
    I haven't had no 1099 employee in a long time but I remember the time I did, the one who thought he was slick went and told the IRS this and that.
    They called me and i told them I thought I was right in how I paid him.
    I also allowed to the IRS that the employee in question was the one that explained how he was a contractor to me and that he said every employer he had in past years had paid him that way. I sent them back to him with that statement. Never heard from them again.
    These drivers that are getting paid this way I would beat know what they are doing? It only changes when things are not their way.
    Now if you have five drivers you should know what you are doing.
    Having one driver and new to the business you may not know yet. As the revenue pool dries up we see the IRS start bothering more people anyway.
    Having to bother with all the added work in having a few drivers could make it less than worthwhile to even bother with it.
    These drivers complaining after the fact should think what if I didn't get a 1099 and had NO JOB at all?

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Those that did were because of taking expense as 1099 that were disallowed.

8. cadillacdude1975

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    after 25 or more phone calls today, i discovered that TN payroll and wage laws do not apply to this company. it and every other trucking company falls into the US Dept of wage and hourly enforcement.

what makes it even worse is there is no protection for truck drivers, and in a nut shell, if i press the matter, all the company legally has to pay me is minimum wage for the hours it took me to drive the miles, and that breaks down to less than $145

what bull you know what.

9. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I'm not one to call the IRS and say lookie here I want to give you some more money. If I was given a 1099 I'd get my deductions together and pay little or no taxes. I'm the wrong one to call government, I have 911 blocked on my phone.

10. cadillacdude1975

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    the sad thing about contacting them (IRS) is it takes so long on the phone. i sat on hold for more than an hour the last time and i got tired of waiting.

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    There are other numbers.

Send me pm with area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.