Flapping tarps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    On long straps like that I would put a twist in them, just my preference. Besides the straps on the outside looks like you did a nice job on the tarp. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    I was trained to throw straps over tarps. We haul mostly coils and after some 1000 or so loads its clear why we do it that way. For one when winter hits and the straps get full of road salt and grime it seems a bad idea to throw them onto bare neked steel.

4. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Didn’t put a single hole in the tarp on the plywood load... And I tightened those straps as if my life depended on it, too...

Not saying it can’t or won’t happen but that was my brief experience so far.

I will say... I had to pull the straps, pull n roll the tarps, and then resecure it at the customers because I wasn’t allowed to move the trailer without securement. I understood the policy. And they understood why I strapped over the tarps at the shipper.. so all went well. Still, that’s an extra five to ten minutes... :rolleyes:

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    The problem I see with tarp and strap job like that, is that wind will get under the bottom of the tarp and flap. If you tarp over your straps then the tarp will flow to the outside edge of the trailer and you can pinch the tarp against the edge with bungee/rope. What keeps the tarp tight the way you did it? Zooming in on picture I’m not sure how you secured the bottom of the tarp where it meets the deck.

I’m actually curious here and this is no way saying I know what’s best. I’ve only done this 6 months and like to learn new ways.

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  6. Kshaw0960

Jun 17, 2018
    The straps can’t get road salt and grime because they are under the tarp in the first place.

DrFlush, kylefitzy and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Bungees keep tarp tight underneath the pallet

8. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    They can and do if you haul a no tarp load and its snowing and they are salting the roads.

9. Kshaw0960

Jun 17, 2018
    You pulled the bungees for the grommets under the pallet? I didn’t think of that. Makes sense.

10. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Put a twist in your straps to keep them from fluttering

stwik and Humblepie Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    My opinion is if the shipper is worried about my straps being wet or having grime/salt on them, that they would have the coil wrapped up in plastic or something similar to protect it, prior to me picking it up.

My straps go under my tarps on my trailer.

D.Tibbitt, 4mer trucker and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.