Getting a truck home with a bad differential

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by DMAX66, Oct 18, 2018.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Why not just pull the rear wheels and driveshaft and pinch off the airlines for the rear airbags

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    How does the axle end bearings get oil without an axle?

The carrier picks it up and some of it rides a along the axle until it can't. The oil fill/full level is below the axle tubes...

What am I missing?

I see it all the time with towed units with the axles removed. Does the ring gear just splash enough oil into the tubes? Not that itnwould make sense if the first axle was off the ground in the case of a towed unit.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Works just like trailer hubs and steers. The middle of the hub is lower, filled with oil up to where the bearing rollers ride in it at the bottom. Once it's full your good. I always prefill my hubs when doing a seal either through the fill plug or before I put the front bearing in

snowman_w900, SAR, stillwurkin and 4 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Does this have the pawl of death against gear teeth?

CLNCLNCLNCLNCLNCLNCLNCLN that increases in ampitude, other axis of lie and so on as it seeks to distribute these harmful forces away prior to self destruction?

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Unless the power divider is locked in, no power is sent to the forward differential. 100% goes to the rear.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I dont see why a tandem drive power setup sends power to rear most diff under normal non inter lock use?

I stopped in MO at some old Eagle truck stop before and the have a steep ramp for parking I tried creeping up in normal use no inter lock. And my front axles were the ones that were off the ground spinning. 2005 Freightliner Columbia last 8 of vin 4LN15244.

tommymonza and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sorry to be blunt but you are 100% wrong. That is a complete myth. No idea where it comes from or why its perpetuated constantly.

The power divider DIVIDES the power to the two diffs. Both axle assemblies are driven all the time. Locking in the power divider simply locks the DRIVELINE solid. This allows more power to the ground in low traction situations. With everything unlocked, you can only put as much power down as it takes to slip any one set of duals. With power divider in, you can now put down enough power to slip 1 set of duals PER AXLE.

SAR, pushbroom, KVB and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Because a simple solution doesn't make for good forum banter.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Again couldn't be more wrong.

With power divider not locked in any one of the 4 wheels will drive.

Power divider locked in , now both axles are putting power to the ground same time. But diiffs are still open so only 1 set per axle.

Now then, moving on to 4 wheel diff locks with interlocked ingaged and all 4 wheels drive no matter what......

Savvy???

Amodelcat is 100% correct.!

Its actually amazes me every time a powerdivider or diff lock topic comes up how many people have really no clue how the rear tandems put power to the ground. Everyone still just thinks it's the rear right side that does all the driving. Or the rear axle in general. I'm thinking because it's the one that wears the tires out first maybe???
    But that is simply tire scrub from turning, not from constant torque to the pavement.
    Same as a tridem trailer or tandem trailer, back axle wears out first from scrub.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    SAR, Goodysnap, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.