Going to Boyd Brothers

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by THEPRIZEFIGHTER, Nov 7, 2010.

1. mhhousley

mhhousley Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I think you're good! Call them to make sure.

dpark Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S3Zyklon

S3Zyklon Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Leeds, AL
    Yeah it was a bit tougher than I had expected. While you are doing all of this crap, you are trying to breath regularly and keep your heart rate down, since they are monitoring your heart rate, and it can't go above a certain number. Lifting the tarps their way nearly killed me. My legs hurt for days after going all the one down on one knee to lift that lumber tarp three times. Feels VERY unnatural to me to lift something that heavy, coming all the way off the ground on one knee. I just crouch and bear hug it and sling it to my shoulder, or use my knee to pop it up onto the back of the trailer. Much less work, and I feel safer doing it that way.

Somehow, of our 15 person class, only one got sent home for the physical, and it was for blood pressure. I only got a 6 month card, which surprised me because I am in generally good health. I had a little bit of protein in my urine, which I am guessing is from all of the activity of the fitness test done just prior, and thanks to a cold I had just gotten over. Of which, both physical activity and illness can cause increased protein. Oh well.

4. TrucknTrucker

TrucknTrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Indiana
    I start orientation on the 16th and am very excited, I am courous though you said they sent 5 ppl home frome orientaion, for what reason, I see no reason I would be one sent home but would hate it if I was..

5. mhhousley

mhhousley Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    We lost 5 out of 9 ppl in our orientation. 3 of them was for blood pressure and/or pulse rate and 1 of them for improper background information and 1 of them for living to far out of hiring area. :biggrin_2556:

6. supertruckerporkchop

supertruckerporkchop Light Load Member

May 3, 2011
    Galveston, Texas
    Nice to know a Company will ship your ### into town just to tell you (you live too far). Says alot for that company, and not in a good way!

7. mhhousley

mhhousley Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Disgruntled much? Hey, that was HIS story. For all I know he failed the drug test.

Let's face it, the trucking industries attract a lot of degenerates. If you're a trucker, you've seen them. Therefore some of the unpopular practices that MOST ALL companies do are required by default. Well, at least thats my opinion. But out of the ones I've looked at, and drivers I've talked to, especially for flat bedding, Boyd is one of the best, at least for my needs and wants.

EDIT:

P.S. 'alot' isn't a word! also, don't be a troll! For definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

8. pmurcyard

pmurcyard Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Well you said he got sent home for living too far out of hiring area. Thats a rough way to go if its true. I started here in august and some of the guys they sent home they didnt even give a reason (one was sent home on Thursday of the second week with no explanation). Even Jack recently told me he didn't exactly agree with the practice and maybe they should do more checking before they waste peoples time like that. This company isnt bad but just pray you get a decent dispatcher. I got held up on I75 N this monday going from tennessee into kentucky behind 2 trucks that jack knifed and then came up on that tanker that ruptured in Corbin KY. Well I75 was shut down from about 4:25 pm to 2am. My dispatcher charged me with a service failure and told me Im not going home this weekend. She said I should have left the house earlier. I left at 4pm on monday to drive 470 miles for an 8:30am appt tuesday. I gave myself twice the time I needed. Not to mention I called night dispatch at 8:30 pm and told them I wasnt going to make it because the interstate was shut down until further notice. So I gave them 12 hrs notice and did everything I could possibly do and still get charged and punished for it. Now THAT says a lot about a company! She strongly believes I should have known what was going to happen and left early enough to avoid it. Even after I stopped by Cincinnati and talked to the terminal manager who called my dispatcher and told her how bad it was and that it couldnt have been avoided. I called Wade yesterday morning (wednesday) and asked for a different dispatcher and he said I would get a call back but I didnt so I called again this morning and left a message but still no reply.

9. mhhousley

mhhousley Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It's all got to do with who your dispatcher is, that is for sure. You did what you were suppose to so I wouldn't worry about what she said. I think I know who you have too, I've heard similar stories.

edit: also they probably charged you with that so they had an excuse to not have to plan and find you a trip home.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. supertruckerporkchop

supertruckerporkchop Light Load Member

May 3, 2011
    Galveston, Texas
    LOL, no not in the least!!!! However just bummed to hear that companies still do that!! I've heard of a hand few that will approve you w/o actually checking your background or dmv and ship you off to orientation just to tell you on day 3 that you don't qualify!! Now if you lied or bs'd on your app, heh, its your own #### fault for sure!!! I had a friend that went to a large outfit and they sent him packing on day 4 because his first cdl job had gone under and they had no way to verify that time. He told them this and they said its not a problem because he still had 1 yr that could be accounted for, however they still sent him packing for that exact reason, even gave him a letter as to why he was sent home.

I just feel some of the "mills" could stop "milling" if they did the leg work first. Not only is the company out a driver, but they are out the money it took to get them there and the time wasted to house/feed them. Just my PO though, and who the hell am I ? LOL

11. mhhousley

mhhousley Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Yeah, I guess they get desensitized about screwing someone out of a week because trucking companies just roll in and roll out new drivers constantly, every week. It's a bad deal, especially when you could already be working through your orientation/training with another company and getting your bills paid and your health insurance started.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.