Gone in 2 minutes: Mac gets hacked first in contest

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Markk9, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tag

Tag Light Load Member

May 30, 2007
    Sugar Land, TX
    I agree, the numbers couldn't lie. I'm just curious how much business did the whole PC/PC accessories market make compared to Apple's Mac/Mac Accessories make?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShallowDOF

ShallowDOF Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Kenmore, WA
    Today they announced that they surpassed Wal-Mart in music sales. They are now the #1 music retailer in the U.S.

The iPhone is the second best selling smartphone on the market, selling better than all the Windows Mobile phones combined.

There have been reports that they are the #1 selling brand of laptop on college campuses. Even outside of the college campuses they are a big player in the laptop segment. Their growth over the last year or two has been amazing.

Are they only relevant if they are overtaking the whole market? Perhaps comparing them to other brands would be a touch more fair?

This is from the Q4 '07 stockholder conference call:

4. Kreep

Kreep Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Arkansas
    While not a current user of Apple products (too expensive generally, and I like to tinker a bit), I have to admit they do make some nice looking products. However, with that said, when comparing their market-share against PCs, we should really only compare computers.. NOT iPods, phones, music, etc..

All this 'test' shows, really, is that macs are just as vulnerable as PCs (windows and linux) when black hats put their energy into the platform. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing new to anyone really since similar 'tests' have been done regularly. What I bet eventually makes a difference to most people is how fast Apple stays on patching to fix holes/bugs/etc as they are found.

Plus, let's be honest, MOST (not all) fanboys/girls of Apple (and haters) are unwilling or unable to look at the other side and see the pros/cons or admit them.

5. Kreep

Kreep Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Arkansas
  6. Tag

Tag Light Load Member

May 30, 2007
    Sugar Land, TX
    One thing we failed to see in the stats is that there is still more PC's being sold than Macs. Since Apple has a monopoly in the Mac platform, it's not a surprise that Macs would out sell most if not all the PC manufacturers because most of the PC manufacturers are competing in the same market. But still a lot more PCs will be sold than Macs.

If we take a better look, the PC platform will outsell a Mac platform many times over. :)

As for an I-pod or I-phone, well let's just say I want one. :biggrin_25523:

But for a computer? It's PC for me or nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.