Greenhorn with option to go with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Dawgpound, Dec 19, 2008.

1. CornerCarver

CornerCarver Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2007
    running a twisty road
    Training pay is 325.00 a week. The training period is 28 days about 10,000 miles of driving. They do pay for orientation also about 65.00 a day. The 28 days will go by fast, at least it did for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronnieb67

ronnieb67 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Benton City, Wa
    bMac, I do not know anything about what is going on with new hires but I will enquire with my dispatch on monday and see what I can find out. I am in the Heavy-Haul division and I am on a dedicated run. I run at night; sun through thurs so that I only work 5days and have weekends off and most holidays. I get between 1900 to 2500 miles a week depending on how many days I work and what they have for me to backhaul back home. My brother and I use to team with GTI and miles were never and issue. If you go on the temperature conroll fleet or 48 state dry you won't have an issue with miles. If you go dedicated or westen regional or even heavy miles can be an issue sometime but you will be home more like me. I hope this has been helpfull for you and will let you know what I find out.

4. bMac

bMac Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Folsom,CA
    Thanks Ronnie. All the info I can get helps.

5. jwalker

jwalker Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Merry Christmas to all and a happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!

CornerCarver and bMac Thank this.
  6. joshmck1982

joshmck1982 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Ronnie-I haven't heard of too many companies using Cascadias as fleet trucks but that would be great if Gordon did. I drove 6 years ago right about the time Cascadias were first introduced and I loved them. I'm looking to get back into it and Gordon is at the top of my list of companies to drive for. When I drove 6 years ago, my trainer had a new Columbia. It seemed pretty nice. What don't you like about them?

7. joshmck1982

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Ronnie-My bad. Confused the Cascadia with the Coronado. Those were just being released when I was driving 6 years ago. I have seen quite a few companies switching to Cascadias. I do love the looks of the Coronados and have researched the Cascadia a little bit and they seem to be really nice. But what don't you like about the Columbia?

8. ronnieb67

Sep 20, 2008
    Benton City, Wa
    joshmck1982, Here's what I don't like about the Freighliner Columbias: 1)There is a helluva lot of internal noise-needs to be more internal insulation of some kind.Lots of squeeks and rattling.
    2)Cheap parts that easily break.
    3)Dash layout.
    4)Headlight covers are hazy cutting down on headlight clarity and distance. This problem has been rectified on newer trucks.
    5)Stock seat is uncomfortable.
    6)Steering wheel does not pullout far enough. To get me comfortable in the arm and shoulders while giving me enough leg room to keep my legs comfortable. This is the main problem I have. I constantly have to pull and push the steering wheel in and also move my seat forward and back. Many drivers complain of this. You can't have your arms and legs comfortable at the same time. This problem is solved with the Cascadias I hear tell.
    7)Defrost is constantly losing hot air for some reason.
    They are not bad trucks-I just know there is better out there and I pay attention to little details I guess.:biggrin_2551:

9. joshmck1982

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Ronnie-Have you heard that GTI is looking into getting Cascadias or are you just hoping?

10. ronnieb67

Sep 20, 2008
    Benton City, Wa
    :biggrin_25525:joshmck1982, they won't have much of a choice in buying the Cascadias. In 2 more years Freightliner stops making Columbia's,Centuries, and Coranodo's. They will all be replaced by the Cascadia. GTI will always run Frieghtliners because of the 2 dealerships they own. So sooner or later they will be buying them. They already have a couple of white ones that they bought to test with. I talked to a team that runs one of them and they both said that they made a lot of improvements over the Columbia especially in room for the driver which is my main issue.

11. Greg

Greg Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Mount Shasta, CA
    I have been driving for Gordon since August and so far they have been great! I mean, trucking is trucking, you won't always get the run you want, etc. but they are very considerate of their drivers. I get hometime pretty much when I want to (within the appropriate time frames) and they pretty much keep me where I want to be, with the occasional long run to Montana or something. I run out of Medford, OR terminal (I live in Mt. Shasta, CA) I used to drive for Swift and what a disaster that was, Gordon has been a breath of fresh air.....even during training they put us up in a nice motel with 3 meals a day provided! Really top notch for a trucking company. I would highly recommend Gordon for the first time driver or someone just looking for a change....yes it is long haul but they mainly keep you near where you live or at least within a day or two's drive home. It really is not bad for long-haul. My DM is great too, if you work with them they will work with you and do their best to give you what you want.

Give' em a try!:yes2557: P.S. If you are a new driver and want to be trained right, go with Gordon!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.