Guess I need to give up my dream of getting my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Evergreenapple, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Tax Return = Tuition

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    If the lack of a manual transmission bothers you that much, then you should give up

4. Evergreenapple

Evergreenapple Light Load Member

May 29, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It’s the principle of the matter, if I’m paying full price for tuition, I expect a full class A CDL out of it

5. Evergreenapple

May 29, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My tax return is usually $1000 or less, not enough for tuition

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Well it sounds like your principles are keeping a lot of money out of your wallet.

It still says commercial drivers license on it. You are still driving semis and hauling the same weight.

I trained on a stick in school and got the cdl without the restriction. Doesnt mean i can shift. Havent driven on the road with a shifter yet so still doesnt mean i know how. The whole time I was in the school i had about a total of 3 hours practicing shifting, and thats it. It takes very little time to get to the point you can test out with a standard, very little.

Since you said you dont care what happens after school manual or auto your reasoning is a bit irrational since you havent really learned that much in the school about shifting, just the bare basics.. Shifting in your hometown on flat land just enough to not stall the engine.

IluvCATS, Aamcotrans and Dan.S Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    What you are doing here would be like a truck driver shutting down at a rest area at the end of the day when there is still parking at a truck stop 5 miles up the road.

He saw the Truck stop doesnt have showers. So by god he aint going. Doesnt matter theres still a diner, snacks, drinks, and a bathroom... There ain't no showers! So hes going to sit there, still not get a shower, and go hungry also.

That Will teach them! Right?

8. Evergreenapple

May 29, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Say you have a restriction that says you can only take a bath in a bathtub instead of have a shower, when you could have not had the restriction in the first place, why would you willingly have restrictions put on yourself? I’m sorry I expect a full CDL for the full price of the tuition, knowing how to shift(which I do, I drove semis with a permit on a 10 speed), basically the job I want, I can’t have, because the company I want to go back to, uses 10 speeds

If after training plus my year of experience, I can’t get a job driving anywhere, it’s not a full CDL

It’s not my principles that are keeping money out of my pocket, it’s an automatic restriction on my half CDL, everyone tries to say “just rent a truck and get the restriction removed”, but 1. You can’t rent a manual with an automatic restriction, 2. Why should I have to spend even more time and money to get a restriction removed that I shouldn’t have had to begin with, after spending thousands to get a license?

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I prefer showers. But if my only choice is a bath because I am shower restricted, I'll take it over nothing, any day.

You are still ignoring the fact its very easy to learn enough shifting to pass the road test. I saw maybe 3 hours in a standard semi.. Maybe. You can get that practice anywhere. Post an ad on Craigslist, shake a few hundred dollars at an OO with a rig for a few hours of practice and instruction. Test out and you are done.

Just start driving man. This whole thing is just silly.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Except there are only 3 truck stops in the country that have baths, and they are in the worst paying lanes. Still think that restriction is nothing?

No, I agree with the op to a point. He should get a license that have no restrictions.
    I also think he should go to a CDL school so he's not limited to a training place for the first year, There are 1,000's of places that will hire even out of school for more than the cost of school + mega pay rates for the first year,

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    That was just an analogy, lol

The OP has made it adamantly clear he cannot afford just going to a school on his own due to money. Even though he makes too much for funding assistance.

Me getting my cdl was super easy compared to other things I have done in the past.

This whole thread is just weird.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.