Guys with pre-emission trucks what are your typical breakdowns?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by crocky, Sep 28, 2021.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I haven't seen a lot of older Macks for sale. It's usually always the newer ones that I see. (I mostly watch Facebook Marketplace)

What I'd love to find is an older 5 pack car hauler with a sleeper. I have only seen 2 with sleepers they are so #### rare. Well, 5 packs on their own are rare but ones with sleeper are even harder to find. (I do like the ease of car hauling, just load and go with almost always a COD at the drop)

jamespmack and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Oh I know Lol. They don't wanna give them up and for good reason

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Well, wait.. I did find these but they are a little old..

Would love to turn one of those into a hotrod car hauler.

If I had the time and extra money to just build a badboy hotshot truck I'd do something like that. That one with the sleeper would be awesome but the DOT would probably stop you at every scale just wanting to look...

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Its never the engine.

Tows:
    Mine
    Diff input box exploded
    Trans shift tower got stuck in 2nd from being worn out

Someone else's truck
    Warned that clutch needed replaced for 8 months, finally went kaboom

Outside of tires, only things ive EVER had to call a repair guy to me was

1.jpg

Brake shoe in spec and officer just wanted me oos

and logs 1 time, didnt realise ky scale when closed on 64 still took your picture. I was 2 hrs from home and wasnt going to take a 10 for that as dirty as i was, i wasnt going to be able to sleep, they got me next week

Everything else, never on the side of the road, most of the time i was already taking it in for the repair or doing it myself.

Did a halfback after a dot oos since i carry a spare. (Its almost ALWAYS just the pancake) And a few times ive had to cage and vise grip a hose till i got somewhere safe.

Fuel line burst and popped a temp high pressure fitting on it to slow leak till i got home/to a shop twice. But i noticed smell and pulled to a safe spot both times (consignees actually)

Did have a serpentine pulley explode on me once, stopped immediately, yanked out the belt and then went to get a new belt

Large top Coolant hose start leaking real bad on me 40 miles from a consignee (1 gal an hr or more) farm store) bought everything i needed to drop coolant and replaced it there including coolant for about 4 hrs and 350$.

Air dryer purge exploded, bypassed dryer for a day to get home and replace.

Worst was probably head gasket blowing coolant into oil, but i just stayed empty, kept filling coolant and oil and drove it home since i already knew it was going to be rebuilt, figured a 600 mile tow would cost as much as any extra dmg to the engine. 400k on that rebuild now...

Im Sure theres more, but as everyone is saying, old trucks, you just dont get put down on the side of the road but there sure is a downside, and thats fixing it yourself

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    What is it? Don't have FB

JoeyJunk and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    No Fecebook?! Good for you. That place is repulsive.

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Actually other than taking countless hours to do it it wasn't to bad but I like doing wiring All the Connectors. were common connectors and yes the plastic was old and britle but I got what ever I needed at NAPA with out any problems... the harnesses I pulled out and inspected them and tested them all repaired any bad spots it just was time consuming guess'n around 150-200 hrs

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't do FB other than the marketplace. Everything else is garbage to me but it kinda killed craigslist and really none of the others are really any good for equipment.

SL3406 and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  10. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    S60 14.0 550hp

bought truck for 10k with 900k miles, rode fine until 1 mil then deleted all emissions (3.5k)

1.05 mil miles was on 287 in tx at 3am chasin down a bull hauler, ran side by side at 94 mph then exited at Vernon to shoot down highway 70 (I think) ….then the knocking started lol. Got a tow back to Haslet where the tow truck was very happy to show me 102 mph in his Pete.

dropped 21k on a full out of frame, and got back to driving in two weeks.

I’ve swapped just about every functional component on this thing.

Initial truck cost: 10k
    Rebuild and part swaps in total: 40k ish
    Truck grosses/yr: 220-275k

love this rebuilt beast

11. Coronado2020

Coronado2020 Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2020
    AZ
    I am at 230,000k miles with my 2020 glider. Only failure i had was fuel pump ( warranty replaced) exhaust flex pipe leaking also, pretty much just oil changes and shocks so far..

JoeyJunk and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.