had my first lesson today with the tractor trailer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by snowbird_89, Sep 15, 2009.

1. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I had an automatic roll backwards down a hill once. Stupid thing tried to grab another gear going up a steep hill with a heavy load. They don't "know" enough to hold a gear without the operator intervening. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an automatic transmission. Whether you use the clutch or not won't prevent this from happening if you try to shift at the wrong time. I float gears because its a lot easier on the left leg. If I used the clutch every time I shifted (at least a hundred times a day, probably more). Do I miss gears? Occasionally, yes. Am I a #### because I do it? No. I have a clear understanding of what goes on inside the transmission and I apply that knowledge when I operate it. And I suspect a lot of drivers (even those with a lot more experience) do the same thing. And for the record, nobody taught me how to do it, I figured it out on my own.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    hey guys. i've been taking my lessons with the automatic. i'll do the test with the automatic also. no, i won't have an "automatic transmission" restriction. in the future, i'll just take private lessons for shifting.

i think the truck is pretty alright. it is either a 2000 or a 2001 KW T300. it has a cummins. it is a 6 speed semi automatic.

4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Hey, don't feel bad...I've got about 11 years in, and there is still the occassional day when I just ain't got the rhythm, with or without the klutz...er, clutch!

And I love pulling 40K+ pound loads for three weeks, then suddenly getting a 6K....geez, that'll screw me up for a shift or two.

Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.