Has HAZMAT but doesn't need PLACARDS???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by airforcetoo, Feb 1, 2012.

  1. TaserTot

    TaserTot Light Load Member

    Jan 30, 2012
    West/Central TX
    Part 383: Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements and Penalties:
    §383.93 Endorsements:

    (b) Endorsement descriptions. An operator must obtain State issued endorsements to his/her CDL to operate commercial motor vehicles which are:
    (b)(1) Double/triple trailers;
    (b)(2) Passenger vehicles;
    (b)(3) Tank vehicles;
    (b)(4) Used to transport hazardous materials as defined in §383.5, or
    (b)(5) School buses.

    Hazardous materials means any material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR part 172 or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR part 73.

    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
    CFR part 172, Subpart F

    § 172.500 Applicability of placarding requirements.
    (a) Each person who offers for transportation or transports any hazardous material subject to this subchapter shall comply with the applicable placarding requirements of this subpart. (b) This subpart does not apply to'
    (1) Infectious substances; (covered under another CFR subpart with different placarding requirements)

    (2) Hazardous materials classed as ORM-D; (Other Regulated Materials-Domestic - No HAZMAT Required)

    (3) Hazardous materials authorized by this subchapter to be offered for transportation as Limited Quantities when identified as such on shipping papers in accordance with §172.203(b); (Limited quantities of Packing Group III stuff, drums, crates, and consumer packaged stuff - No HAZMAT Required for most, or it will be placarded in any amount, requiring HAZMAT)

    (4) Hazardous materials prepared in accordance with §173.13 of this subchapter; (certain types of materials in small quantities that are specially packaged so as not to require placards - No HAZMAT Required)

    (5) Hazardous materials which are packaged as small quantities under the provisions of §173.4 of this subchapter; and (really, really, really small quantities, like an ounce or less of most applicable materials, and only if specially packaged - No HAZMAT Required)

    (6) Combustible liquids in non-bulk packagings. (Covered under another CFR subpart, depends on amounts and types)

    § 172.504 General placarding requirements.

    (c) Exception for less than 454 kg (1,001 pounds). Except for bulk packagings and hazardous materials subject to §172.505, when hazardous materials covered by table 2 of this section are transported by highway or rail, placards are not required on'

    Oops..won't all fit here. Click the link though...
  2. dave26027

    dave26027 Road Train Member

    Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    If it's under a certain amount it's not considered hazmat, or if it's ORMD. I'm NOT hazmat certified only because I'm objecting to Big Brother's ridiculous data collection policies, but If you have a small amount of hazardous substances in your trailer you don't need placards or a hazmat endorsement to pull it. You might get a straight load of hazmat in small containers (Ex: oven cleaner in aerosol cans or bleach in small bottles, even batteries, starter fluid or quantities in small individual amounts)- that's ORMD. Basically, if placards are NOT required, no hazmat endorsement is required.

    However, you MIGHT still be required to stop at all rail road tracks as if it was placarded.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of regulation for fun and profit..
  3. TaserTot

    TaserTot Light Load Member

    Jan 30, 2012
    West/Central TX
    Anyway...to answer your question...it depends. :D

    Read the shipping papers and like I said you should know the laws even if you don't have a hazmat endorsement because you never know what someone is going to try to get you to haul.
  4. Jakethebrake99

    Jakethebrake99 Light Load Member

    Dec 16, 2011
    Good info. Keep in mind that any combination of table 2 products that add up to 1001 lbs, will also require proper placarding. Do not haul hazmat without an endorsement. Also do not rely on what the shipper tells you, you will pay the fine if they are wrong. Refer to number 1 above, it is very important.
  5. Mommas_money_maker

    Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

    Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I do haul hazmat (on a regular basis) so it does just depend. The shipper (doesnt always know) is supposed to know and comply with all DOT reg's regarding hazmat shipments. That means they are supposed to know and make known to you the product name, hazard class, un number, amount of product, MSDS for the product, correctly label the product (following all applicable laws) and give you the placards if needed. They also have to certify (shippers certification) that they have done this. You are responsible for knowing what is on your truck so that means shipping name, hazard class, if its a reportable quantity or not(requiring placards), correctly displaying the placards and having two hazmat books on your truck along with the shipping papers.

    You are also supposed to have a hazmat class with your company before hauling a load as they will have more in depth training. The 2 books you are required to carry and keep with the shipping papers are an orange emergency response guide and then a white haz mat reference book. You should have received these when your company provided training.

    With those books, you should be able to identify what you have and if placards are needed. More than likely you dont need placards as the shipper will know this but you really should have the other books just in case something happens like a package is leaking.
  6. CenutryClass

    CenutryClass Road Train Member

    Feb 15, 2006
    certain classes of hazmat require hazmat no matter how much such as class 1.

    Some classes only require placards only if its over 1001 pounds
    RickG Thanks this.
  7. brsims

    brsims Road Train Member

    Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    It all comes down to 'reportable quantity' of material. I'm not gonna dig out my little orange book, but different types of HazMat have different reportable quantities. Check your BOL against said little orange book (should be in your door pocket, generally) to be sure you haven't exceeded the reportable quantity. If your under, let'er roll! If not, better get the appropriate placards.

    And do not rely on the shipper to inform you of whether or not you need placards. Shippers are by thier very nature dishonest individuals who have zero problems with send you, the driver, down the road without placards. HazMat loads cost more to haul, so if the shipper can sneak a HazMat load through without paying more, they're gonna! Check every time, don't let a cheap shipper jeopardize your license or freedom!
    chalupa and airforcetoo Thank this.
  8. Giggles the Original

    Giggles the Original Road Train Member

    last but not least...CALL YOUR COMPANY...check you regs book like harvey said....they should have a haz mat department that you can contact(if no haz mat depart. contact safety) PRIOR to leaving the shipper to go over bills, correct placards (if any)..etc...at fed ex cc you were not allowed to depart the shipper even if you knew what you were doing( which you should , wont remember everything but thats what regs book are for) had to call haz mat department to go over everything...haz mat needs to be taken seriously...
    Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  9. Mommas_money_maker

    Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

    Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Here is a link to the online version of the 2008 Emergency Rsponse Guide. There will be a 2012 book out soon but this will do.

    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  10. Oor

    Oor Medium Load Member

    Jan 11, 2012
    How can we when you haven't posted enough information?

    Right in the CDL manual, and I'm studying for the test tomorrow. ;^)
  • Draft saved Draft deleted